SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society

So, I bought the 180 gal from Aquaman and I'm starting this build thread so all you guys can tell me everything I'm doing wrong. 8)/>/> I have a feeling I'm going to need alot of help, but am confident that I can eventually turn this into a beautiful tank with the help and advice of everyone here. I finally talked my wife into giving me a wall in the house where I can put this bad boy, so I started my stand today, and surprisingly had my first coat of stain on within 7 hrs of starting. Here's some pics if I can get this to work.

The tank:

post-3367-053777200 1310354551_thumb.jpg

2 x 8 on top to eliminate center brace ( It's upside down )

post-3367-001495900 1310354625_thumb.jpg

This isn't all of the framing that was done, but it was the last picture I took before I was finished. I put 2- 2 x 4 braces across the top too.

post-3367-072517300 1310354735_thumb.jpg

First coat of stain: I used a Minwax Red Mahogany. It will actually be much darker when finished.

post-3367-066748600 1310355027_thumb.jpg

Damn there's alot of room under there!

post-3367-015394000 1310355134_thumb.jpg

And that's it for today. Still have to paint/ caulk the interior, add another coat of stain, and poly.

Let the critique begin! ???/>/>

I'd add a waterproof liner inside the stand under the sump. I made mine with flexible PVC shower pan liner. I even put short sides on it and added a bulkhead at one end so if the sump overflows, the liner catches the water (rather than your nice stand and floor) and it gets piped outside. It's easy, it's fairly cheap and mine has already saved me from the mess of a leaking external pump! 8)/>/> IMHO, every stand should have one.

Ron ???/>/>

BTW, the stand looks like it's going to be beautiful!

Edited by ronreefman

Love it! Watching a complete, from-the-gound-up, buildup is incredibly fun.

This isn't all of the framing that was done, but it was the last picture I took before I was finished. I put 2- 2 x 4 braces across the top too.

I'm a big fan of over-building...... how about an additional inner layer of 2x8s and maybe 4x4s inside the corner of the legs? One ton + on that existing frame scares me a bit.

Edited by johndestef

Thank you so much for posting your step-by-step build. The stand is beautiful, and I second the liner idea. My hubby is going to be building a new stand for our 75g tank we are getting ready to set up at home. You can be sure he'll be putting a liner and overflow in it! Was the Minwax easy to work with? It looks great!

Love it! Watching a complete, from-the-gound-up, buildup is incredibly fun.

I'm a big fan of over-building...... how about an additional inner layer of 2x8s and maybe 4x4s inside the corner of the legs? One ton + on that existing frame scares me a bit.

Glad to hear that you did cross members at the top. That's good as it will keep the top boards from spreading. Now add a 2x4 inside each leg and run them from just off the floor and just short of the top. Screw these into your existing legs AND into the big 2x6 or 2x8s at the top and bottom. Toe screwing those legs is not enough structure to keep them sitting on the legs. If the stand shifts at all it would be easy to have those toe screws pull out and the stand collapses. Remember, you will have almost a ton of water sitting on those legs. Just my thougths and the recommendation of others who helped me build the stand under my 180g tank. I took my plans from Reef Central.

Ron ???/>/>

I'd add a waterproof liner inside the stand under the sump. I made mine with flexible PVC shower pan liner. I even put short sides on it and added a bulkhead at one end so if the sump overflows, the liner catches the water (rather than your nice stand and floor) and it gets piped outside. It's easy, it's fairly cheap and mine has already saved me from the mess of a leaking external pump! 8)/>/> IMHO, every stand should have one.

Definitely going this route. Thanks for the great idea!

That stands looks beaustiful. Nice woodworking there!!! How much space do you have under there?

72" L, 34" H, 24" Drolleyes.gif

Was the Minwax easy to work with?

I am actually switching it up and going with all black oil based paint as that stain didn't really come out the way I wanted it too. I wouldn't try using it again.

That's good as it will keep the top boards from spreading. Now add a 2x4 inside each leg and run them from just off the floor and just short of the top. Screw these into your existing legs AND into the big 2x6 or 2x8s at the top and bottom. Toe screwing those legs is not enough structure to keep them sitting on the legs. If the stand shifts at all it would be easy to have those toe screws pull out and the stand collapses. Remember, you will have almost a ton of water sitting on those legs. Just my thougths and the recommendation of others who helped me build the stand under my 180g tank. I took my plans from Reef Central.

Yeah, I am going to do this. Better safe than sorry..

Thank you guys for all your advice, and with this, I have quite a bit more work to do. I'll post up some more pics when I get a chance.

Well I bought Bryson's 180, so now I have an extra. Anybody looking? Anywho, here's some pics of it set back up.

th_IMAG00012.jpg

th_IMAG00022.jpg

Right side

th_IMAG00032.jpg

Middle

th_IMAG00042.jpg

Left side

th_IMAG00052.jpg

And my 72

th_IMAG00062.jpg

Sorry about the pics they're taken with my phone.

Let me try this again...

IMAG00012.jpg

IMAG00022.jpg

IMAG00032.jpg

IMAG00042.jpg

IMAG00052.jpg

IMAG00062.jpg

It really is an instant ocean!wink.gif I don't think anything has died yet, a green pocci that is nice sized started to bleach really bad, but it is coming back now. The big toadstool is not happy so far, but he keeps getting better every day. Other than that, everything turned out great!

I guess I really did do just that..rolleyes.gif I love it! Now I just have to get rid of my 72 and my other 180 and I can start the frag tank up. My wife is going to start carrying a hammer if I bring another tank in the house right nowblink.gif

I guess I really did do just that..rolleyes.gif I love it! Now I just have to get rid of my 72 and my other 180 and I can start the frag tank up. My wife is going to start carrying a hammer if I bring another tank in the house right nowblink.gif

I hear that! Elaine let me set up the 180 with an 85 sitting next to it and said, "No more!" But today, on the ride home from the Keys, we were talking about setting up a 55g full time quarantine tank with a 50+g sump full of TBS live rock and oddball critters. I waited for Elaine to pull over and kick me out the door... but she just said, "Sounds like a cool idea!";)/>/> I was shocked. The QT is just for quarantine. If I need a hospital tank to treat a fish or coral, I'd set up a 10g tank.

Ron :)/>/>

Got an early Christmas present, a Canon EOS Digital Rebel. Now I just have to figure out how to use it! Here's some pics...

Yumas.

FullYumashot.jpg

FragRackFocused.jpg

Northwoods Tri Color?

Northwoods1.jpg

Blue Tort & Mystery coral on the left. Anyone have an ID?

BlueTortMysteryCoral.jpg

Another Blue Tort

BlueTort2.jpg

Clown & Toadstool

ClownToadstool.jpg

Hammer

Hammer.jpg

3 unknown SPS. I think the one in the middle is a Lime Green Granulosa. The one on the left grows exactly like the Northwoods Tri Color, but it is all purple and has white polyps. No Idea what the one on the right is.

LimeGranulosa.jpg

Got an early Christmas present, a Canon EOS Digital Rebel. Now I just have to figure out how to use it! Here's some pics...

Well it looks to me like you picked up the technique pretty quickly. Really nice photos!

Ron :o/>/>

Very cool! looks like the flash went off on a couple of these shots - hard to tell what they are with it. You will have to start taking a bunch of photos to get the white balance figured out as well - the first shot looked the best, the others either got the flash, or way too blue to tell what the corals are. Love the shots, and you will get better with time! (I started with mine, then got really busy - now have to learn all over again!)