SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
jdhuyvetter

September Meeting

September Meeting Poll  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want to do for a September Meeting?

• Field Trip to the Tampa Aquarium
    • BBQ at Sanibel
    • BBQ at Lover's Key
    • Speaker at the Imaginarium

We are finalizing the remainder of the 2011 Schedule. Below is the tentative schedule. September is wide open and we are looking for your input.

June 18 - Acrylic Workshop at the Imaginarium

July 16 - Field trip to the Keys

August 20 - Guest Speaker at the Imaginarium

September 17 - TBD Poll

October 16 - Fall Frag Auction (note this is on Sunday, not on Saturday)

November 12 - BBQ in Nokomis at Brian Green's aquaculture facility (note this is the second Saturday)

December 17 - Guest Speaker at the Imaginarium (note this is the second Saturday)

Would love to go back to the Tampa Aquarium. I was rushed through it the last time I was there.

Will

Edited by Wgardiner

Who will the speaker be for the August meeting?

September: Florida Aquarium sounds good, or a BBQ on a beach (Sanabel Causeway, bunch beach, Lovers Key), or maybe a hardware flea market sale (I've got too many spare pumps, lights, chillers, small tanks....)?

Ron 8)/>/>

Speaker for August will most likely be one of the following: Tony Vargas, Jeff Turner or Matt Wittenrich. If the September discussion leans toward a speaker, then most likely, it would be one of these guys as well.

Tables for selling used equipment have been discussed for the fall event. Further discussion on this will occur later (once we get a little closer). If we are going to have a speaker for September, we need to start making arrangements now. Hence the poll.

We tried a behind the scenes tour the first time. It was terrible. Basically, a look at breakrooms and outside of various rooms, but no entry.

You can schedule behind the scenes tours of the different exhibits for feeding, but the groups were very small (6-8 people) and there was additional cost for each one.

So, for the sake of this discussion, we need to assume that the field trip will only be the public viewing portions of the aquarium. If we can work something else out, then that would be an added bonus.

I don't think we should count out a behind the scenes tour. They charge an additional $10, but from the website I believe if we called them they would be willing to do group pricing on that as well. We would need to call them and tell them what we are looking for in a tour and see what they can do for us. So if this is the winning option, I will make the calls to see what our options are and their pricing.

I don't think we should count out a behind the scenes tour. They charge an additional $10, but from the website I believe if we called them they would be willing to do group pricing on that as well. We would need to call them and tell them what we are looking for in a tour and see what they can do for us. So if this is the winning option, I will make the calls to see what our options are and their pricing.

Heather,

Can we do this the other way around? If you would be so kind as to make the call (please... mom always said I should say please), find out what our costs are, what the options are, and then let us know. That way we can make the informed decision as to whether we want to pay for the extra tour or not. 8)/>/> By the way, Elaine is off that weekend and we will both be going on the trip!

Ron 8)/>/>

Edited by ronreefman

The only "rush" would have been if we needed to schedule a speaker. Since as of this post, there are 12 votes cast and 0 for a speaker, I'd say it's a safe bet that we won't have a speaker that month! (With only 3 of the 12 for a BBQ, that is most likely out too.....unless there is a late rush from the California voters)

A little history lesson for some of you........Presidential election "Dewey Defeats Truman".....look it up!

Tampa Aquarium behind the scenes tour was a joke. All they said was behind this door is something really cool but we cant go in there but heres a poster take a look at it. lol

Tampa Aquarium sounds good to me too. I am fine with just visiting, but if Heather works out a nice behind the scenes tour, that would be great.

Anybody can get in the Florida Aquarium, so it's not a problem at that level. If we have a club discount, that maynot be available (not for me to decide). But that shouldn't be a big deal.

Ron 8)/>/>

Anybody can get in the Florida Aquarium, so it's not a problem at that level. If we have a club discount, that maynot be available (not for me to decide). But that shouldn't be a big deal.

Ron 8)/>/>

I was just wondering about any discounts or a special tour or whatnot.

Will

Ok guys Just got off the phone with Tampa Aquarium. She is emailing me more detailed information, but here is what I have right now.

September17th 10am arrival

The group rate for Aquarium Entry is:

Group Rate

Adults: $15.95

Children ( 3-12 ): $11.95

Children 2 and under FREE

The behind the scenes tour is an additional $6 per person regardless of age.

(15 people minimum to qualify as a group)

I will need to call with a head count before we go so please confirm in thread below!

Matt Egna - Both

Heather Lloyd - Both

Jared Lloyd - Both

Jeff D'huyvetter - Aquarium Only

Ed Bustamante +1 - Both

Jeff - Tour Only

Zina - Tour Only

Charlie - Both

Robin - Both

Ron - Both

Elaine - Both

Carolyn - Both