SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
Sign in to follow this  
jdhuyvetter

Speaker Topics And Bios

Marc Levenson

Topic

Sumps 101 - Everything you need to know to make an informed decision. This topic will discuss sumps, what they are, how they work, pros and cons, etc.

Bio

My name is Marc Levenson, but online I'm known to most as melev. I've been in the hobby for over 13 years. I run two websites: www.melevsreef.com & www.reefaddicts.com that are designed to help hobbyists everywhere. Melev's Reef developed to include information about my tanks and sumps, as well as topics of interest such as acrylic work,

photography, critter identification, solutions to a variety of pests problems, lighting, feeding, and more. Reef Addicts is an interactive

site with new articles, product reviews, DIY write-ups, location coverage and event reviews.

I've been podcasting since 2006, which can be found on Reefcast.com & Reefaddicts.com Most of them are audio downloads in mp3 format but there are a few vidcasts mixed in as well. We keep it casual, fun, and still over a variety of topics to help others be successful reef keepers.Reefaddicts has over 40 videos available via our YouTube channel.

I've been a fan of MACNA since the first one I attended in 2002, was on the BOD for MASNA.org for a year, and on the BOD for DFWMAS for over seven years. I was the club president of DFWMAS for three of those ears, working to keep the membership growing and provide interesting content both online and at our monthly meetings. I've written magazine articles both online and in print, and was a contributing author to an e-book called Reefkeeping Basics. I've spoken to clubs across the nation. For 14 months, I was editor of Reefkeeping Magazine.And with all of that, I cared for my 280g reef which brought me great joy until July 2010 when the seam leaked.Now I'm starting over with a 400g reef tank. I make my living selling RO/DI systems, sumps and doing custom acrylic work. www.melevsreef.com/shop/

Vince Rado

Topic

The use of live foods (copepods) in the reef aquarium and in marine ornamental fish breeding.

Bio

Vince is a marine biologist that has been active in the marine aquarium industry for over 35 years. He has worked in retail, wholeasle and developing collection stations in the Caribbean and in the Red Sea. Previously he was the Sales and Marketing Manager at ORA for 10 years. While there, he developed the ORA marketing plan.

He is now working with AlgaGen, LLC in developing a new line of live copepods for hobbyist use in tanks and breeding.

Kevin Gaines

Kevin has been involved in the marine aquarium hobby for 20 years. In that time, he has worked for Quality Marine, operated a coral farm with Julian Sprung, ORA and Sustainable Aquatics.

Kevin is now the operations manager for Coral Reef Restoration. http://www.coralrest...g/CRF/index.php

This organization is dedicated to the preservation and restoration of Florida's coral reefs. Since 2003, they have planted over 500 corals at 17 reef sites in the Keys. They operate three nurseries to grow out the corals to be transplanted on these reef restoration projects.

Sign in to follow this