SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
jdhuyvetter

General Information

What

Our Fourth Annual Reef Conference. Yes, it really has been four years! We will have speakers, manufacturers reps/VENDORS, aquacultured and wild CORALS for sale and a HUGE RAFFLE

When

April 16, 2011

Schedule

09:00am Doors Open / Registration Begins

10:00am 1st speaker (Mark Levenson)

12:00pm 2nd speaker (Vince Rado)

02:00pm 3rd speaker (Kevin Gaines)

03:00pm Raffle Drawing

05:00pm Doors Close

Where

Clarion Hotel and Conference Center

12635 South Cleveland Ave.,

Fort Myers, FL, US, 33907

Guest Speakers

Vince Rado

The use of live copepods in reef tanks and marine aquaculture

Marc Levenson

Marc's topic is still TBD, but it will most likely have to do with sumps and/or filtration

Kevin Gaines

Kevin's topic will be about the coral reef restoration projects that are ongoing in the Florida Keys.

Entry Fees

SWFMAS Member - $5

Member of other MAS - $10

No Club affiliation - $15

SWFMAS will be taking credit cards at this event. Credit cards will be used for SWFMAS purchases only (entry, memberships, shirt purchases, raffle tickets, etc.). You may not purchase corals from a private individual and use SWFMAS to pay via credit card. Please note, that some vendors may have their own credit card machines at the event.

As schedule and other items are confirmed, this post will be updated accordingly.

There will be people there selling corals at tables (typical swap format of other clubs). So from that perspective, yes there will be a "swap".

There is no auction at this event. The October event will now be an auction/social with no "swap" This decision was based on the turnout in 2010 at both events, event costs, revenue and staffing considerations.

I'll give a hand wherever. I can work at the check in table if u need help. I will have to get a crazy fish shirt.

Edited by DavidCC

I'll give a hand wherever. I can work at the check in table if u need help. I will have to get a crazy fish shirt.

David,

They aren't crazy fish shirts, they're wild fish shirts! ;)/>/>

I'll help with set up and tear down as well.

Ron 8)/>/>

What time may I ask?

Good question Christopher! And maybe more of a schedule than just when it starts and when it ends?

The first post only says:

What

Our Fourth Annual Reef Conference. Yes, it really has been four years! We will have speakers, manufacturers reps/VENDORS, aquacultured and wild CORALS for sale and a HUGE RAFFLE

When

April 16, 2011

Where

Clarion Hotel and Conference Center

12635 South Cleveland Ave.,

Fort Myers, FL, US, 33907

And shouldn't this post be in the "Meetings" section of the forum as well as here in the "General Information" section. Just a thought.

Ron :lol:/>/>

Here is the schedule for the conference:

09:00am Doors Open / Registration Begins

10:00am 1st speaker (Mark Levenson)

12:00pm 2nd speaker (Vince Rado)

02:00pm 3rd speaker (Kevin Gaines)

03:00pm Raffle Drawing

05:00pm Doors Close

I updated the OP

Sorry about the delay on the schedule. We were trying to accomodate speaker travel schedules. When we got that resolved, we finalized the posters and I forgot to post it here.

So, thanks Matt.

6 pm on Friday night or Saturday morning. I plan on getting there about 730 Saturday morning. But, if someone needs me there sooner, let me know.

I am very new to this forum. I was completely unaware of it until a friend told me about the conference this weekend. My wife and I are planning on coming to the conference tomorrow however we will be a little late. Is there any problem with us not arriving until around 11am?

Another question I have is about entry fees. Does the $5 charge apply to only paid members or is it for all members?

I am just trying to get everything in order before tomorrow. I am very new to the hobby but I are very addicted. I have a 110 gal reef tank that has been setup now for about 5 months. I also have a 55 gal tank that will eventually become my frag tank. The 55 gal tank currently has some live rock in it with 3 clowns.

well first of all welcome to the club.i'd say 11 is just fine.a lot of people including myself won't be set up until around 8 or so and it will take a couple hours for all the polyps to finally open form the move.i'd say your best bet is to get the family plan it's only 20 bucks and you can set that up at the door.it will get you into most all our events for free.well worth it IMHO.this is one of our biggest events of the year so don't miss it.see you there.01.gif

Dave

wingsfan,

Yes the $5 entry fee is for paid SWFMAS members only. You can pay for your membership at the door. A family membership is $20. If you choose not to become a paid member, it is $15 per person over 12 years of age. If both you and your wife are planning on attending, the entrance fee would be $30 either way. As Dave mentioned, becoming a club member is well worth the cost!

We look forward to meeting you tomorrow at the Conference!

Heather

Is it 9 AM yet. From the stuff I saw in Jason Foxx's tank this evening , I have to stop at the ATM and get $$$$$$ to purchase tomorrow. Then again some us could wait till tomorrow. Thank you to all folks that showed up this evening. See U in the AM

wingsfan,

Heather and Dave have given you the scoop. But this is a BIG event, 3 speakers, a HUGE raffle and lots of vendors. The rest of our monthly meetings are free to paid members. And they can be both great fun and very informative. Hope to see you this afternoon at the Conference.:blink:/>/>

BTW, your screen name here, 'wingsfan'... You from Detroit by any chance? As in Detroit Red Wings fan? If so, we need to meet... especially since the Stanley Cup Playoffs has just started.:lol:/>/>

Ron :lol:/>/>

Edited by ronreefman

Got the Conference posted on Crigslist during the ride over. Hoping to get more people.

Bringing a couple of green and purple efflos along with my other stuff.

Also, I am bringing some cool button down fish shirts. Hope thats ok.

Thanks all. My wife and I had a wonderful time today at the conference. Everyone was very friendly and informative. It was well worth the $30 dollars and now I am a paid member. Spent way too much money but I have found out that is normal is this hobby. I guess if you have to be addicted to something, reef tanks are a good addiction.

I met a lot of people today not really sure who was who but thanks to all.

Ron,

I am originally from Toledo OH but have been a red wings fan since i was a kid. Watching the game right now while typing this post. Had to DVR it since I was gone all day. I have been become a Lightening fan too since they now have the best Captain that has ever played the game as a GM. :blink:/>/>

Gary