SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
Sign in to follow this  
reefaddictinsrq

magnesium and strontium

Hey peeps! I am looking for feedback. I have been totally unable to show coraline algae growth. I purchased a test kit and found my [email protected] and my [email protected] I am using Brightwell Aquatics additives in an attept to fix this prob. Mind you, I am not big on additives,but I need to do somthing. I do a weekly 5gal water change. [email protected] ph8.2 calcium430 [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] Temp78deg uv sterilizer use only pro-salt. Worst part is I have been teaching a few people about the hobby, And they have growth, but not in mine. (now THAT is SAD) ANYWHO, any input?? Thanks, Pat

What kind of lights do you have?My display tank has MH's at just under 7 watts per gallon. I have terrible coraline algae growth in this tanks (except at the very ends, where I have power compacts).My current frag tanks is plumbed into the main tank, but is lit only with PC's. I have another 125 that is also only lit with PC's. Both of those tanks have fantastic coraline algae growth.

generally the brighter the light, the less coraline grows in those spots ... i have some growing on my back glass, BUT MOSTLY under the braces, and behind the returns ... thats where the braces shade off the light.I had some growing very crazy in my fuge, with a dual mechanics light.And i'm wondering .. WHY do you want it so bad? I don't enjoy having to pull my tunze's out of the tank every 2-3 months to clean the coraline off between the slots in the housing ... because the pump isn't drawing much water anymore.Funny .. i traded some liverock to someone in naples yesterday .. he called me late yesterday evening & said his brother told him i had sold him dead rock .. because it was white. mind you ... this rock has been in my fuge bin for the past 4-6 weeks. it wasn't purple, or brown/green because i didn't have light right over the rock ... it was in the back of the tub w/out any direct light.****UPDATED FIRST PARAGRAPH ***** - noticed my error. not sure why i typed what i typed ... i said it reverse.

I had an urchin in the tank and it did a number on the coraline, needless to say he is no longer in it. I just want the color back. I am running 2-250w mh 14k, 2-t5ho 54w, 260w pc. 868watts total (think i need more??) (just kidding)mh on for 5hrs, others on for 8hrs. so, what cha think? Thanks, Pat

interesting ... usually sea urchins aid coraline algae growth by removing other algae off the rocks, in a way stripping the rocks and prepping them for coraline. algae.What kind of urchin did you have?

started out as a small(size of a nickle)long spined urchin, 4 months, the size of a golf ball. Not including the spines. I got tired of trying to do maint. and getting stuck. Last time I started to get blood poison in my thumb.

what do you have in your tank to get it started? Don't you need some LR with good new growth to help get it going? I put a power head on a rock that has coralline on it to help "Seed" other rock I am trying to get it to grow on and it only takes 2 weeks to see patches of it.

i had a long spine urchin and not only did i love being stuck by it constantly while doing maintenance.mmm burning stingsbut it made my premium live rock look like base.mmm grey rockneedless to say he is gone now and my coraline growth is greati guess the 250 halide has something to do with that as well

I am NOT liking you! (just kidding) Atleast I am not the only one that had this prob. Those urchins are cool as long as you don't have a problem growing coraline. I have about 140lbs of prem indo live rock. It was covered very nice, till i got that little B*@#!. You know this sucks when you explain to others about the hobby, and you (meaning myself)have the probs. ARRRGGGGHHH!

Yea dude, Urchins are great for coralline algae. The urchin secretes an enzyme over the live rock it walks over that stimulates coralline algae growth and aids in the adhesion of coralline algae to your rocks, pumps, and glass. NOT!!!!! LOL whoever told you that obviously never had an urchin. Anywho as for helping the algae grow, try using Brightwell's Elemental. My customers have been saying good things about it.Jeovani