SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
Sign in to follow this  
wiszmaster

New Volcano Skimmer

As most know by now - I've sold my Reeflo 250 - the moster skimmer that was powered by the Sequence/Reeflo Dart needle wheel pump (ORCA). I still have the skimmer hooked up - i will most likely be meeting with the buyer this weekend to hand it over.Here are some pics of the new skimmer - Scott @ Aquatic Acrylics is building it.Specs:Body Diameter: 12" diam 1/4" thick main tube Body Height: 18" tall main chamber areaDiffuser: 10" diffuser area6" diam riser tube with twist lock for easy removal of cup assembly43" tall total heightvolcano needle wheel (Dart Frontend w/ Baldor motor)sch 80 plumbing gate valve on output pipeflanged at the bottom of the main chamber for easy cleaningremovable diffuser chamber for ease of cleaning. Additional options added:Carbon Lid (to remove skimmate smells from air)Wetneck (to reduce cleaning maintenance)Auto Shut-off sensor in cupthis skimmer will hold about 14 gallons of waterIMG_7685.JPGIMG_7686.JPGIMG_7687.JPGIMG_7688.JPGIMG_7689.JPGIMG_7690.JPG

Skimmer handover has been postponed by a weekend, My skimmer is taking al ittle bit longer than nticipated to be built.Pump is mounted, all plumbing is done - Wetneck, carbon Chamber & drain will still have to be built, as well as the AutoShutoff for the collection cup.here are some updated pictures scott sent me yesteerday:IMG_7692.JPGIMG_7693.JPGIMG_7694.JPGIMG_7695.JPGIMG_7696.JPGIMG_7697.JPG "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer."

Somebody else is building it for me - It should be here within the next 2-3 weeks I hope.--marco "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer."

New pics of it being built - should be shipped byt he end of the week - so I'm told.On the left next to the table you can see the parts for the carbon lidIMG_7757.JPGIMG_7756.JPGIMG_7762.JPGIMG_7763.JPG "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer."

Cant wait to see that bad boy in action!! Glad you finally got it : ) i am sure you will love it. And now the other guy can get his skimmer.___________________________________________________________________________________Tim's Reef Tank New website look working on perfecting it.

Skimmer is plumbed up, and running ... it's still breaking in ... wet-neck works, pump is quiet & runs cool.Today i'm taking the reeflo 250 down, disassembling & cleaning it. Tomorrow it is meeting it's new owner. Hope the Volcano is broken-in by then!

New skimmer is now producing, it's got a fairly stable head and making tea colored skimmate, with the wet neck on.The reeflo 250 is soaking & recirculating in a vinegar water solution.

Originally posted by Rwinfrey wizmaster not trying to bug you but WHERE ARE THE PICS:p
but you are bugging me! (j/k)i took some last night reallyquick ... and they came out really crappy.IMG_4693.JPGIMG_4694.JPGIMG_4695.JPGIMG_4696.JPGauto shut-offIMG_4697_2.JPGwetneckIMG_4698.JPGdrain in the bodyIMG_4699.JPGgate valve, air (large) & ozone intake (small)IMG_4700.JPGdrain in the cup w/ valveIMG_4701.JPGsleepy morning picture ... i had just woken up. salt bucket for comparisonIMG_4704.JPG

WOW that is a lot larger :)/>/> glad you got it hooked up now. Now i just have to make it over in person to see it hehehe. ___________________________________________________________________________________Tim's Reef Tank New website look working on perfecting it.

Was nice to meet you as wel Paul - Sorry for the delay and the time it took to get this unit to you.Post up some pics when you get it plumbed up & running. :)take care,marco

Friday 2 weeks ago I received my replacement skimmer - Another Spazz Volcano.The first one worked, but not well enough - that is part of working closely with a skimmer builder, especially when you're working on a new model that hasn't been built before.Scott & I found several deficiencies in the first design, that have since been changed. This new skimmer has quiet a few revisions, and changes from the first, most of them being in the diffuser and bottom assembly + needle wheel. There are also some changes for ease of use, ease of adjustments & placement - the body & intake can be turned w/out having to turn the bottom box & pump location. The airinput pipe is hard plumbed and the water discharge pipe is also braced to the main body to avoid stress on the unions 7 leaks.This skimmer is day & night different in performance - It has skimmed as much in 48 hours as the other one skimmed in 2 weeks.1/2 a gal of waste in 36 hours ... all this during break-in time.I'll bring the old skimmer to the event on saturday for everyone to see ... several people have asked me for viewing sessions :)/>/>