SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
Sign in to follow this  
pdexta

Scott's 75g Reef - from the beginning...

Hello, I’m Scott, just wanted to reintroduce myself and get started on documenting my tank build.  I’m still in the early stages of piecing together plans to get back into reefing.  I moved to Tennessee from SWFL almost 4 years ago and took my 150g tank down at the time.  I’ve got a ton of respect for the SWFMAS community and knowledge base, and was hoping you guys would welcome me back, even though I don’t live in the area anymore.

I’m very much a DIY guy; but along with that comes some tendencies to cut corners and half-ass anything I think I can get away with.  I’m sharing my plans and progress from the very beginning, hoping to get some input and guidance along the way.  I may be an idiot, but I’m a coachable idiot, so if you have any advise it’s greatly appreciated.

I brought a lot of equipment with me when I moved, and just picked up a used 75g tank a few days ago.  Here’s what I have so far:

75g reef ready tank
55g homemade sump
Reef Octopus skimmer
Jebao return pump and powerheads
JBJ ATO & 2.5gal top of tank
Several 5 gallon buckets full of rocks/sand

Now that I’ve secured the tank, I’m moving my attention toward building the stand.  It’s going to be a little tricky building a stand for a 48” tank over a 48” sump, but I’m planning to oversize the stand a bit so I can fit the ATO tank next to the sump.

Right now my head is spinning a bit trying to prioritize what steps to take and how to set everything up.  In the past I’ve ended up with some minor regrets around layout/setup/plumbing decisions so I’m trying to make sure I’m setting myself up for success this time around.

Not much picture worthy at the moment, but I moved the sump to it's new home and got a quick picture of the tank as I started cleaning it up a bit.

20221204_105519.jpg

20221211_144914.jpg

Edited by pdexta