SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
Luis1662

Need advice for taking out sand from reef tank

My tank has been set up for about 9 years and has only 2 fish and some inverts. Corals are mostly sps and a few lps. I want to redo the tank if there is such a thing to do(😁) I want to take all the corals, fish and rocks out and toss the sand as that's the main reason for doing this. I bought the crushed sand years ago and I hate it As all the big stuff comes to the top. Problem is by taking out the sand and water would putting new live sand and water give me more problems then I want like new tank syndrome? Or worse. I understand it's a lot of work plus I wouldn't even know what to do with the corals, rocks and fish. What do you guys think/recommend? 

Thanks

Luis 

My 2 cents, instead of removing everything from the tank just remove the sand a section at a time then allow enough time (say 2 week) for the tank to recoup. The more sections you make the better. Once most if not all the sand it out then you can add back the sand you want. It will take time but you shouldn't get much of a new tank recycling. This will take time but should be less stressful on you and the tank and its inhabitants.

John

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I did talk to a guy at a lfs that said to do it like this. Just suck out half or quarter sand with a water change and wait a week or two. Ill have to give that a try. Thanks for the reply john. 

Luis 

Small section at a time is my game plan after speaking with the Caribsea Rep. at MACNA.  Remove a section and replace it.  Repeat until replaced.  I'm just lazy and haven't started the process yet. 😁😁