SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
ToddE

Calc Reactors

I've been told that calcium reactors are a pain in the butt to maintain. Tubing clogs, Co2 leaks, etc. Does anyone have recent experience either good or bad to recommend? 

Calc reactors are really not that scary, once you get over the few hurtles of setup and adjustments its basically set it and forget it. I have run a calc reactor since I started in the hobby over 10 years ago, I prefer it over dosing.

John

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Just get a quality unit, and quality regulator. Build some safeties into it. For instance, the older korallin units had a bad habit of clogging the effluent line, causing the internal media to mush, build up pressure, then finally blowing the effluent line open and dumping the resulting disaster... that usually crashed the tank.

rule of thumb, the more efficient the unit is, the less of a low pH problem you'll have in the display.

Carbon doser CO2 regulator and masterflex pump to draw water consistently through reactor. Once dialed in it's set it and forget it. 

Clean out and replace media every 6-12 months depending on reactor size and usage. Refill co2 tank once a year or so again depending on usage.