SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
Sign in to follow this  
jrwhite

Green Algae??

I think I might have a Green Algae problem in my new BioCube32. I have been checking my water parameters every other day and all seems within normal range. I've recently introduced some new corals and a pair Clowns to the tank within he last week. 

Cant seem to get rid of it on the glass and it's starting to grow on my LiveRock...any suggestions would be a big help!!

Thanks

Jon

IMG_8240.JPG

Looking good jon, it's part of the cycle! brown diatoms first, then a green film algae, then various blooms untill it balances out. How long are you running your lights? Adding a few snails will help keep it at bay. Turbo snails and small hermit crabs will pick all day, add a few nassarius snails to help stir the sand bed as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Looking good jon, it's part of the cycle! brown diatoms first, then a green film algae, then various blooms untill it balances out. How long are you running your lights? Adding a few snails will help keep it at bay. Turbo snails and small hermit crabs will pick all day, add a few nassarius snails to help stir the sand bed as well.

How did your son like the tank?

Similar to what we talked about previously adjust your light schedule and that will help as you get things going.

Thanks guys. Ive been trying to do a little research on this and it seems like its par-for-the-course on a newly cycling tank. Im going to adjust my lighting schedule at night to try and combat the issue a little bit better as well. HE LOVED THE TANK!!! All the corals are doing great and the two clowns seem to be adjusting well. I can thank you both enough for all the input that you have given me and the wonderful corals that you had available to put in his tank. Ill update you guys as soon as things start to change a bit more in the tank. Thanks again and Happy New Year....

Yes. For the most part. I’m still getting a little algae buildup on the glass that I typically clean off every 3rd day or so. I cleaned the tank really well on Saturday. Did a 25% water change and replaced the filter. Also added a baby Blue Tang to go with the clown pair that I already have. Oddly enough. The Bubble Tip hat I bought from Ron split the other day and now I’ve got two from that original one. Very interesting to watch. Lol. I’d lime to add one or two more smaller fish and some zoas. Any suggestions on the fish?

Yes. For the most part. I’m still getting a little algae buildup on the glass that I typically clean off every 3rd day or so. I cleaned the tank really well on Saturday. Did a 25% water change and replaced the filter. Also added a baby Blue Tang to go with the clown pair that I already have. Oddly enough. The Bubble Tip hat I bought from Ron split the other day and now I’ve got two from that original one. Very interesting to watch. Lol. I’d lime to add one or two more smaller fish and some zoas. Any suggestions on the fish?
Hey Jon, how's the tank doing? Finally break through the algea cycles? I've really enjoyed some of the miniature gobies (clown and watchmen) have awesome personalities and quirks. Of course clowns but firefish are great additions aswell. Have you added any fish or corals recently ? Hope the little ones digging the tank as well!

Hey Bob,

Tank is getting there. I bought some really nice corals at the Frag Auction last weekend and Im excited to see how they do. Ive currently got two Clowns in there now and a number of different corals that Ive picked up from Matt and Ron (thanks guys!!). I just added the last bit of live rock to the tank about two weeks ago, but cannot seem to shake this green algae problem that accumulates on my glass. I feel like I clean it every day or so and it just comes back. All of my parameters are spot-on too. I just recently dialed back my lighting in the tank from 12 hours to about 8. So Im hoping this helps. Any suggestions?

On a side note. I bought a Hippo Tang about 3 weeks ago and it must've been eaten by one of my anemones cause it disappeared. I guess this can happen from time to time. My son wasn't that happy about it either. Im going to try a Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp next I think...

Hey Bob,
Tank is getting there. I bought some really nice corals at the Frag Auction last weekend and Im excited to see how they do. Ive currently got two Clowns in there now and a number of different corals that Ive picked up from Matt and Ron (thanks guys!!). I just added the last bit of live rock to the tank about two weeks ago, but cannot seem to shake this green algae problem that accumulates on my glass. I feel like I clean it every day or so and it just comes back. All of my parameters are spot-on too. I just recently dialed back my lighting in the tank from 12 hours to about 8. So Im hoping this helps. Any suggestions?
On a side note. I bought a Hippo Tang about 3 weeks ago and it must've been eaten by one of my anemones cause it disappeared. I guess this can happen from time to time. My son wasn't that happy about it either. Im going to try a Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp next I think...
Excellent, what did you end up getting at the auction? I picked up some nice ones myself! Limiting the lighting should help a bit. Once the tank establishes itself more the algea will dissipate, but a slight film will always form. The watchman goby and pistol shrimp are an interesting pair, be prepared for some changes to your aquascape by the pair , otherwise awesome to watch! Let's see the pics of the new Rockscape and frags!

I’d love to send a pic of the tank but the site will only allow me to upload .41mb. I guess the photos are too big to post?

I was able to buy the following at the auction:

Sunny D’s Zoa

Rivordea Yuma

Red Pinwheel Rock Flower Anemone 

Captain America Palys

Utter Chaos Zoa

Tubbs Blue Zoa

Teal Trumpet

Orange and Green Zoa

I think I did pretty well considering I priced all the corals that I bought prior to the auction and feel like I did really good price-wise. How’d you do?

It should work, at the bottom of the reply input field there should be a link "click to choose files" and it should open a browser. Your profile image can only be .42mb. You don't have to upload picture's to your account. Hope this helps.

Lol well looks like you did well.. looks like most of the zoas you got came from teachreef and i. Did well got a few nice mini colonies birdnest,  scroll coral and , a beautiful cup coral!

20180218_211849.jpg

1519006882706.jpg