SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
tdp822

Recommendations for a quiet protein skimmer

I have a Red Sea Reefer 450 which is a 116 total gallons. Currently I have a Hydor 505 skimmer and it is too loud to be in the family room. It not the suction that is loud it the actual pump. I have been researching DC controllable pumps. I would appreciate any recommendations. I kind of like the Reef Octopus ones but don't know much about its noise level. Thanks for the help. 

Hello - we have a Reefer 450 as well.

Checkout the build thread:
Cristina & Marco's Little Ocean - Revision 17B

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=5016&share_tid=11439&url=http://www.swfmas.com/forum/index.php?/topic/11439-Cristina-%26-Marco%27s-Little-Ocean---Revision-17B&share_type=t

Running the Royal Exclusiv Double Cone 180 w/ RD3 (DC Pump) - it's absolutely dead quiet. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm also running the skimmer Marcon mentioned and it's dead silent. You really couldn't tell it was running if it wasn't for the body full of water/air bubbles. 

However if thats out of your budget a Regal or Elite Reef Octopus skimmers are really nice and quiet. 

Aside from Reef Octopus and Bubble King I can't recommend any other brand because those are the two brands I have experience with. 

have you identified the actual source of the noise? Has the skimmer always made the noise, or is it recent? If it just started, was it a progressive ramp up of noise, or was it all of a sudden? Does it always make that amount of noise? Is it vibration from the pump through the base of the skimmer to the sump? Is it grinding of the shaft in the pump due to dirt accumulation? Is it the skimmer body touching a wall of the sump?

A few things that can fix this besides buying a shinny new skimmer might be to insulate the skimmer from the sump with rubber feet or even using 1/2" vinyl tubing pieces cut as spacers under the base-plate of the skimmer, or a check and cleaning of the pump shaft and impeller. Also check the parts where the impeller touches the volute and motor block housing and make sure there are insulators (little rubber grommets) that prevent wabble and vibration of the shaft.

Other than that, as both wiszmaster and eric noa have said, Royal Exclusive makes top end skimmers that are super quiet, and I can't wait to get my Royal Exclusiv DC180 set up and skimming (but that is a whole other story :) )

Thank you for your recommendations. Yes the skimmer has always made that nose.  I have disassemble the whole unit and cleaned and repaired it. All grommets appeared in good repair. It not really vibration issue I think the pump is not of high quality. With that being said, it was the only one I could afford at the time. I guess its time for an upgrade!