SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
Brad1215

Fishing Missing! Wait.... Nevermind.

Hey I'm just curious about everyone else's experiences with fish that hid/ went missing for a while just to pop back up and surprise you.

Purple fire fish- hiding for 1 month then he came out during the blue lights one night just to go back into hiding for 2 weeks before I saw him again. Now he's out and about every day happy and healthy.

Watchmen goby- I got him about 3 weeks back . Saw him for the first time about 2 days ago the hole he decided on unfortunately isn't the easiest the see haha but he is doing great it seems.

Pearly jaw- currently missing only about 4 days now

Pygmy Octopus- didn't see him for over 2 weeks came home from work at 2am to him trying to eat some hermit crabs so I fed him a frozen fish he grabbed it with no issues and ate it.

So all in all. I feel like I bring home the shy ones haha. Am I alone in this?

Three peppermint shrimp in my 180g for a year and found them when I tore it down. I have 2 firefish that only come out very rarely, like once every 4 to 6 weeks.

About 3-4 years. A Japanese goby that disappeared and only found again when tearing down tank.

We received this goby from Joe @ Artistic Aquariums, and it's still kicking around today.

You are not the only one lol. It is a common complaint among hobbyists. Also had a shrimp in my previous tank that made me tear down my tank. I think having a lot of plants in a tank can also encourage this?

Bristle star lol, thought he died like two years prior when I moved the tank from Cape Coral to Boynton Beach, then when I was unloading everything in Boynton, he fell off a rock and was about 4" bigger so I'm sure he was living a healthy lifestyle wherever he was hiding..!

I used to live in Apollo Beach and moved my 150 gallon reef tank to Bradenton.  I had a pink spotted shrimp goby that had been missing a month.  Figured that was that.  I moved all the water, live rock, sand, corals, and fish on the first trip. Had to come back for stand, tank, canopy, and sump for the second trip. Did the 1 hour trip unloaded my pick up went rift back. So say roughly 2 hours between coming and going.  Brought my brother to help this time.  Did the canopy and tank looked down on the filter pad in the sump and the goby was right there.  He must have been living in the overflow and went for a ride down the hose when I drained the tank.  I was bummed until I touched him and he moved.  Was really freak'n out at this point no saltwater to put him in. Drained it all.   Than my brother pointed I still had my bio cube there.  Kind of moved him around oxygen thru his gills. Came back fast and went to the bottom upright and fine. He lived for another 7 years.  There must have been just enough moisture in the filter pad or a little trapped water to live.   He was bulletproof but old age caught up.  Very cool fish.