SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
prussiap

Also New

Hi All,

I'm back in SWFL after a bit of a saunter through america. My last reef tank was a gorgeous self sustaining (other then fresh water) reef tank that ran on it's own for more then 5years. Went on vacation and the person taking care of the dog apparently forgot to just add a few gallons of fresh water and it completely died on me before I came home :( ..

It took me about 10 years to decide to even consider doing this again but i'm here. I'm thinking of going into pico/nano size. I'm by no means a newbie but due to health/disability moving and stuff it's better to go small and FL provides saltwater and live sand easily :).

Anyway I can't wait to chat with others that love this hobby and maybe find anybody willing to donate some real live sand from a stable full of critters tank to get my new baby going when i decide to start :) ..

I hope to attend the next meeting and join in with others. I have sorely missed having all sorts of reef critters to watch but it took a LONG time to heal from that loss.

Thanks for the great forum and community,

David

Welcome back to SWFL and back to the hobby. With a name like David, you must be a great guy. Looking forward to meeting you.

Welcome back

Nothing wrong with going pico or nano

Lots of great choices out there. Innovative Marine, JBJ, Red Sea setups are a good place to start looking.

Innovative marine has some cool concepts for smaller tanks. Sounds like you might enjoy their fusion line.

Hi...Welcome back to the hobby.

I know how difficult is to try to stay away from it. I tried to quit many times but I have never been successful. I really think that is the joy and fulfillment that this hobby bring to each of us. I guess that once you get to be an aquarist it will remain in you always.

Chris has give you great advise, David. Those are great manufactures, but also let's include Cadlights that has a great line of nano tanks and picos and not forget that they have an exclusive line of accessorizes for this type of small marine environments.

I don't know where are you located but It will be a pleasure to seed your new tank with a cup of sand from mine. I have run the same reef ecosystem without any major issues for almost seven years. But I also know that no matter where you are, there will be a friendly, knowledgeable and willing SWFMAS member to help.

Ha,

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.. It's nice to be somewhere near an Ocean (not Pittsburgh land locked) where reefs are available and so is saltwater for cheap :) . I'm still doing research but yes that IM 10 gallon square tank is exactly what I wanted.. I'm a maker so I have a 3D printer, CNC router and laser engraver/cutter.. It's hard to swallow a 100$ price tag for a 10 gallon tank with a piece of plexiglass, locline and waterpump though :) .. Especially as the second you buy it the resell goes down to like 20$..

The real pain is 120$ for 18W led light :). heart stop.... On Aliexpress after 20seconds of searching for 165W a wifi controlled reef tank light is like 135$ with free shipping :)https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-Newest-Houyi-Dimmable-165W-led-aquarium-lights-for-coral-reef-Aquarium-Lamp-3years-warranty/1538968767.html?spm=2114.13010208.99999999.261.wQcnnN&smToken=0c34265b10d942b193b519808c20bd1d&smSign=m53uJx%2FX%2B1WK8MxS0VMDlw%3D%3D

And god knows that's overkill for this tank. I have a similar one one I use for plants but well..... choke.. JBJ and IM must be rolling around in gold coffers laughing at us :)..

In any case do you guys know where it's appropriate to show up or post and maybe ask anybody with established tanks if I could get some rubble and/or sand with critters and amphopods and maybe frags of algae to get me started quickly? I would routinely swap live sand with stars etc with the Reef community in Pittsburgh to give it biodiversity and re-seed. I had more fun looking at my critters at night then anything :)

Thanks again for the warm welcome,

David

Rules have changed since you were last here. No more collecting your own live sand. Limits have also changed on recreational collecting of fish and inverts. For your size tank, I don't see this as an issue, but better safe than sorry. Current regs: http://myfwc.com/fis...uarium-species/

Also sounds like you need to come to the reef conference: www.reefconference.com

Big raffle. Lots of stuff you need, and even more stuff that you really want!

@jdhuyvetter

I don't plan on going out in the wild. I'd rather stuff that's "Farmed" or from local established and healthy tanks for several reasons :).

1. Better for environment

2. Better for me. No quarantine period etc..

3. Anything done via aquariums means it's already acclimated to LED/fluorescent lights, indoor, water pumps etc..

On the other hand yeah I'm definitely going to that next reef conference time permitting :). Sounds like a great time to meet folks that are passionate about reefs and already have running tanks etc..

Thanks for the info,

David

Hi Reef_Fan09,

so basically reefing is an addiction ;) .. Very true.. My aquarium crash though last time really hurt me. It took me a very long time to be willing to care for another reef tank. I'm glad I found a warm and welcoming community.

I currently live in the Deerfield Beach/Delray area but I'd be willing to drive a bit for some seed sand. Let me know if you're not too far or you plan on going to one of the meetings/conferences. I think the more biodiversity the better. Especially from an established tank. Also let me know if you want some substitute sand.

David

Hi...Welcome back to the hobby.

I know how difficult is to try to stay away from it. I tried to quit many times but I have never been successful. I really think that is the joy and fulfillment that this hobby bring to each of us. I guess that once you get to be an aquarist it will remain in you always.

Chris has give you great advise, David. Those are great manufactures, but also let's include Cadlights that has a great line of nano tanks and picos and not forget that they have an exclusive line of accessorizes for this type of small marine environments.

I don't know where are you located but It will be a pleasure to seed your new tank with a cup of sand from mine. I have run the same reef ecosystem without any major issues for almost seven years. But I also know that no matter where you are, there will be a friendly, knowledgeable and willing SWFMAS member to help.

Drive a bit!?!? David, you are on the other side of the state from us. It's a 2 or 3 hour one way trip... for some sand???huh.gif

Are you considering moving over here? If not, maybe you should be looking at local clubs on your side of the state.

Ha,

I get 60mpg so no that's just an afternoon saunter. Plus I probably would bring the dogs and camp along the way before coming.

One thing I didn't realize was Memorial day coming up but otherwise it's not a big deal.

I'll wager you were thinking Labor Day when you typed Memorial Day! laugh.gif

Ha... you got me.. For some reason I always get those two mixed up. ___insert name here___ Day dyslexia.