SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
wiszmaster

Cristina & Marco's Little Ocean - Revision 17B

Marco, the herbie drain is new to me... I notice you have what looks like a small amount of water going down the secondary drain. Is that the way you want to tune this drain ? Right now I have managed to tune it so water level stays half way up the clear cup which is just below the second drain pipe. Its dead quiet with no bubbles in the return at all, but it does seem like the return flow is a little weak. My DC return pump isnt running half speed, but if I turn it up any higher it will drain the return section of the sump to fast and I'll need to open the drain more, which then causes sump noise, bubbles, and turbulence. Running smooth the way it is, just wondering if your return pump was dialed back as well ?

Paul,

I opened the drain all the way, turned on the return and set it to max, which in my case should be right around 1,000-1,050 gph. From there I started to close the return valve until it filled no longer surged/siphoned, and until the water is right below/at the emergency drain. I haven't adjusted since, and it's dead quiet for me.

I'm sure I'll be readjusting once the pipes are really broken in/slimed over, and the flow pumps are in the tank.

How many gallons do you anticipate your pump to be flowing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's hard to say, my pump is rated at 1400gph and its set less than half so it's likely at about 500. I'll open the drain back up and start over today to see if I can get more out of it.

Well, I played with it some more and I'm back where I was. It's a bit of a balancing act. If I open the drain all the way and turn the pump up all the way, water is climbing/splashing over the side of the sump return section and tuning the return pipe valve down to quiet it results in the pump return compartment draining to fast. Open it back up to keep up with the return pump and we are back to noise and sump turbulence. I seem to have found the 'sweet' spot, its just not quite the flow I expected, but I think its okay. Thanks :)

Paul,

Yes, the valve on the overflow is touchy, a 1/8" adjustment can be a good amount of change.

I adjusted the nozzle up a little to better see the flow, and the wife is called convincing a shelf into a cabinet....

Here is mine:

We stopped by IKEA yesterday to pickup a side cabinet... The doors have a wave pattern and white finish that matches well.

7b66461ed87de1d29d3d1bc917ebe044.jpg

c97b62b652f5922a6f71334f8267004d.jpg

We're going to drain the tank, and move it 12" to the left, and refill. Yay me!

After picking up the cabinet at IKEA, we met some familiar faces in the Keys for dinner - was a fun trip! Got home a little late... this morning. *yawn*

This is 1/2 of your 2016 SWFMAS BOD:

3f14a0fb2fa19a672dd1f28be7190287.jpg

bb1e60de24fa92048e765a17cd3ee67d.jpg

The sand arrived yesterday, as did the new Tunze Nanostream 6095.

Gave the sand a quick rinse, then with the help of a friend drained the tank, moved 12" to the left, added sand, refilled.

2172ca5b91f2edf62fd94bc9b949f4b2.jpg

Looks good, Marco.

I always like the modern look of Elos but they are expensive tanks. Reef Savvy has incredible design and engineer but pricey as well with a long wait for delivery. Red Sea has come with a great alternative being affordable with great design and engineer.

Tank it's starting to look great! Is that all the rock you are going to have in there or is that just the get the cycle going?

Edited by Eric Noa

Tank it's starting to look great! Is that all the rock you are going to have in there or is that just the get the cycle going?

Just to help with the cycle for now. We'll be moving the rock and livestock from the 60gal Cube soon, and I'm sure some more rock after. Tina really wants to add some Pukani Rock ..

Thats a really nice arrangement against the Ikea cabinet... looks great :)/>

Thanks Paul - How is yours coming along?

Looks good, Marco.

I always like the modern look of Elos but they are expensive tanks. Reef Savvy has incredible design and engineer but pricey as well with a long wait for delivery. Red Sea has come with a great alternative being affordable with great design and engineer.

I agree. I'd have loved to go ReefSavy, but the 6mo wait was a little long, we were ready to go.

Today we moved the livestock over from the 60gal cube.

I took 3 buckets of rock and coral over mid afternoon, placed the big rocks in, and let Tina add the smaller coral and pieces in.

Then this evening we went back over with Bryan, finished breaking it down, and loaded Bryan's U-Haul van with the 60gal tank/stand/equipment ... Tank was filled with 2-3" of sand and about 1" of water....

Got it moved and set back up at Bryan & Shaunas house in Port Charlotte.

Just got home from; spent the night at Bryan and Shauna's, was too tired to drive home last night, and we had a BOD meeting today.

Cristina placed some corals, and moved the rocks a little. Looks interesting, def not what I had in mind, and may not be final, but def interesting.

2a72cbc8aa58382b2e7bfd53edb30f44.jpg

eb0a0c0b96ed806db9cc782da6dc76c7.jpg

6a8f29f58ea479af36b2cea42a51988d.jpg

f1db6a5dfec3a58cd38abe3fb4138555.jpg

05807885b0a383412afd4ac30183e206.jpg

6bcd620aaeaac81ebe59dbd09affe12d.jpg

Don't spray windex in the tank laugh.gif

b391140d358afa4e889e5c56fefb9c5a.jpg

Oh and you might want to put those sea urchins back in the tank before the get too closed to the windex and knock it down lol

All jokes aside, tank looks great. Did you cycle the tank?

Enjoying the little ocean.

196f612d4b4dec5166d27628552b806b.jpg

Last weekend we added some things with fins.

Hoping to add some more this weekend. So far so good.

Sand bed is turning a few different shades of light brown dusting, this was expected.

All in all the move of livestock didn't go as smooth as planned, my time table from water and sand to seed live rock to livestock migration was very different from what I wanted to do, and way more dragged out.

But overall I'm happy with how it turned out. We re-arranged the rocks last weekend, and created a very open scape, with lots of through passes between rocks, not a large rock wall.

e5565cf9a7b17eca285e2acdfae78a27.jpg

52ed292d977b2930bf85da748bc4642f.jpg

bb09543189c2fb96e8aa99080a3a5bfa.jpg

aaca8d16e1576276463a1c6702e11336.jpg

d4a263a350fc624171dbf4953b71b032.jpg

1a170fdb110a11e84d09a5b88c648ee8.jpg

With this open rock scape, there is opportunity for corals to be on the rear side of the rock, which in itself is kind of neat as we're able to have a much more 3D rock scape rather than the usual flat face of the rock wall.

The clown is hosting in the large head of Duncan's that we've had on/off for 6-7+ years.

Several of the coral that have taken a tragic turn towards death over the past 2-3 months are already looking much better.

It's been almost a month since the last update, and the tank is doing great! I haven't been home a lot in the past month, between work and helping Bryan with his tank build... Not much got done here..

We're seeing growth in many of the corals, coral that were on the brink of death from the neglect of the 60gal while we weren't at the other house, are coming back in full swing and coloring up! Seeing great colors in other coral.

We haven't added much more livestock, a few small coral, no more fish, lost a couple.

Rabbitfish stopped eating; died

1 of 3 Anthias jumped

Blue spot jaw fish/goby jumped

We still have not picked up a CUC, or done a water change.

This weekend I placed a small tunze nanostream I had laying around into the sump to keep detritus suspended, sump is looking much cleaner now.

The filter socks seem to go a whole week now before getting close to clogging, early on they'd be clogged after 3 days.

Finally got around to wire managing and hooking up the float switch to the Apex for ATO. Bryan lent his ATO pump while I ordered mine, should be arriving tomorrow.

Also ordered an ATO for the ATO reservoir... Tired of flooding the ATO reservoir when forgetting.

Wires cleaned up somewhat. Not done yet.

814c3636a37d2dc3a4ddb0179dac76ff.jpg

Yummy skimmer pic

b12f034ae738a7b7ade75436300bbbdc.jpg

Your tank looks great, Marco! Why no water change? It's this planned or is it because lack of time? Are you using a two part solution to keep Kh at bay?

I'm sorry for the loss of your blue spot. I just spotted him in the pictures above and first thing that it came to mind was "he better have a net on top of that tank" then I read that he already jumped. sad.gif

I also have a rimless and I have kept it for a couple of years without the netting.I took it of right after I sold my Anthias trio to Carol. I'll like to keep it open, but I just introduced a Red Fin Fairy Wrasse and I won't take a risk of losing it. So the top it's back on.

Edited by Reef_Fan09

Thank you - it's coming along, I'm not in any rush... But let's get this done!

I finally got an Auto Top Off (ATO) for my ATO Reservoir ... Yes, automating the refill of the reservoir for the automated top-off.

Using a Tunze 8555 - solenoid sits between RODI effluent and the reservoir, this system has dual float switches that turns on when lower float switch trips, and keeps running until upper one resets. Does not turn on again until lower one trips...

Also picked up some under cabinet LED lights for the stand, really disliked not having light in the sump area.

d5d6b0ff9c780b772e4c9709f31f78f9.jpg

84349d108d5591d7662829aa0a8697dd.jpg

Hmm, since the cabinet is so open, I didn't light my sump compartment, but after seeing yours I'm thinking it might be a good idea after all :)

That little turbelle keep the sump stirred up ?