SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
wiszmaster

Cristina & Marco's Little Ocean - Revision 17B

We've decided to give it all she's got, captain.

Over the years, we've setup countless tanks, and almost always built our own stands/cabinets with it.

This time, I'm not doing it.

I have neither the time, nor the energy, nor the interest to look at an unfinished stand for weeks/months while I attempt to find time and energy to complete the stand.

I really wanted to go with a ReefSavy tank, however Felix is too far out at this point, approx 6 months. That patience thing gets you every time.

red-sea-reefer-450-black-white.jpg

We're going to be migrating the livestock, in short time.

Equipment

The tank should be delivered in the next couple of days, once arrived I'll be posting some pictures and update more. Looking to migrate the livestock in the next week. I'll be using water from the current 60gal cube to jump start this tank.

At this time, we're thinking of going bare bottom, I'm trying to source some special substrate, not sure if it'll happen though.

-M

DROOLING! Wish I had the room for that tank. Have wanted one since the first time I saw one.

What are you going to do with your 60 equipment or are you keeping both? If not I would like a quote on your 360WE light!

Best wishes!

<cut>

What are you going to do with your 60 equipment or are you keeping both?<cut>

We're not going to be keeping both, the 60gal Cube setup is spoken for, pending the livestock migration. A fellow Club Member has expressed interest and committed to taking it over, just about complete. I'm only going to be removing the Return Pump, APEX, and livestock. I won't steal the new owners thunder, it's up to them to announce :)

New Owner will take over

• Stand
  • Tank w/Sand & some water
  • Sump
  • Skimmer Tunze 9004
  • Light - Kessil 360W-E
  • 2-Part Dosing Pumps (BRS 1.1ml)
  • 2-Part Dosing container
  • ATO Pump (BRS 50ml)
  • ATO Floatswitches (HI & LO)

Congrats Marco :) I went with the same tank. I have already put my cabinet together and mounted the cabinet rails for three AI Hydra 26 HDs. Unfortunately my tank was damaged in shipping, but I should have the new tank soon, hopefully this week. I have a Deepwater BLDC5 for my return and a Maxspec Gyre for circulation. I'll be watching your thread ;)

<cut>

What are you going to do with your 60 equipment or are you keeping both?<cut>

We're not going to be keeping both, the 60gal Cube setup is spoken for, pending the livestock migration. A fellow Club Member has expressed interest and committed to taking it over, just about complete. I'm only going to be removing the Return Pump, APEX, and livestock. I won't steal the new owners thunder, it's up to them to announce :)/>

New Owner will take over

• Stand
  • Tank w/Sand & some water
  • Sump
  • Skimmer Tunze 9004
  • Light - Kessil 360W-E
  • 2-Part Dosing Pumps (BRS 1.1ml)
  • 2-Part Dosing container
  • ATO Pump (BRS 50ml)
  • ATO Floatswitches (HI & LO)

Yes, I am excited to actually set up my own "Real" tank for my clown fish. They deserve a better tank than they are in. Thanks again Marco, and I hope your set up goes smoothly.

Well, we just got done assembling the stand, and setting the tank on, and sump in.

First impression? WOW!

A commercially bought production stand that doesn't wobble, and actually fit together w/out requiring a convincer (hammer)....

6e88832ff247290fcb60fa0c9ca4d35b.jpg

46e1065b75bb288275032acff6c52c2c.jpg

I'll work on the plumbing tomorrow. We had some great help today, first off a huge Thank You to:

Rafael & Lisa from Reef Butler for bringing the tank, helping get it in, all of that with less than 24h notice.

And Thank You to our special Cabinet Engineer that did 51% of the work to assemble the stand, and counted the screws... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Marco

What's the section above the filter socks?

Hi Matt,

That is the ATO reservoir, it gravity feeds to the float switch in the far left corner of the return section of the sump.

Congrats Marco :) I went with the same tank. I have already put my cabinet together and mounted the cabinet rails for three AI Hydra 26 HDs. Unfortunately my tank was damaged in shipping, but I should have the new tank soon, hopefully this week. I have a Deepwater BLDC5 for my return and a Maxspec Gyre for circulation. I'll be watching your thread ;)

Paul;

We can be tank buddies! I'm sorry to hear that yours didn't make transport, how bad was the damage? Where did you order it from, if you don't mind me asking?

Did you get white or black cabinet?

Looking at the cabinet, I think I may drill a hole in the divider for cable routing, in order to avoid having to go out the back and back in, and keep all my controller gear in the right side.

Do you mind posting up a picture of how you attached the mounting rails, and are the AI Hydra specific?

Hi Marco. Hard to tell from photos. Is that where the ATO sits? It looks like it is right on top of socks area

So the ATO reservoir sits on a flange above the sump/sock area. The reservoir has a hose bib/nipple in the bottom corner to drain out.

Here are some pictures:

f056e18895990dc5a0796b7477b3dd21.jpg

9f4e4e782e67f1f7643a76a4c2c5febf.jpg

7b32df6ed5184b53f825751ff1995d34.jpg

9367d6451ff778e95e521589fa99544c.jpg

a4c3c255ce25adeb5938c22c02973916.jpg

1f5959365a183079ef3b6ad1b11ee629.jpg

Paul;

We can be tank buddies! I'm sorry to hear that yours didn't make transport, how bad was the damage? Where did you order it from, if you don't mind me asking?

Did you get white or black cabinet?

Looking at the cabinet, I think I may drill a hole in the divider for cable routing, in order to avoid having to go out the back and back in, and keep all my controller gear in the right side.

Do you mind posting up a picture of how you attached the mounting rails, and are the AI Hydra specific?

Marco...

It was a small chip out of a corner, no idea how it happened, but Red Sea replaced it right away. Yes, my mounts are AI specific. I have the uprights installed and the lights ready to go, but I was waiting for the tank in order to determine what length cross beams to order... looks like 6 inch is my only good choice, 12s would be to long...I bought a white cabinet like you. I will also put my apex and electronics on the dry side, but have not decided if I want to drill a passage or just pass wires along the back yet. I do plan on adding a shelf on the right side since I don't plan on a chiller. Here are two pictures of mine after adding the AI brackets and a couple of links below that show the mounts from the AI site...

untitled_by_pmcadams-d9k9mbw.jpg

aw8a0278_by_pmcadams-d9k9mbp.jpg

http://www.aquaillum...lighting/hydra/

http://support.aquai...-Mount-Assembly

Edited by Paul

Plumbing done. That was easy. Hardest part was visiting 2 hardware stores to find the right sch80 / gray PVC slip-barb fitting for the silicone tube.

I'll have to pickup some wire combs to route the cable cleanly on the back wall.

94b7153436575f0d63ea79417c05200e.jpg

I also picked up the skimmer today, Bubble King Double Cone 180 w/ (RD3) Red Dragon 3 Speedy Needle Wheel pump.

e3233e004cd4b03443e2d5b6852adf70.jpg

As for the right side cabinet, I'll probably build a fake wall up front on hinges to mount apex and pump controllers visibly, but allow cables and plugs to disappear behind.

That is one impressive skimmer. From the pictures, if you break that skimmer down, the parts look identical to my Vertex Omega... Wish I had that DC pump, would make tuning a lot easier :) Please post pictures of how you finish out the right cabinet compartment.

That is one impressive skimmer. From the pictures, if you break that skimmer down, the parts look identical to my Vertex Omega... Wish I had that DC pump, would make tuning a lot easier :)/> Please post pictures of how you finish out the right cabinet compartment.

"Looks" very similar for sure.

looks great what is the stand made out of wood , pressboard or abs / other charlie

Thanks Charlie, I would say it's a very dense MDF, it's extremely heavy and had very little give.

I've been contemplating drilling the upright separating the 60/40 cabinet, however I think I've opted against it not to break the paint seal.

Tonight I received the lights.

The tank will be lit with 2x GHL Mitra LX 6200-HV.

1402846_559431114135337_1258027125_o.jpg

10254017604_1439809b67_b.jpgTop Down October by --Aaron--, on Flickr

One of the main reason I chose this light, was for coverage. While I've enjoyed the Kessil, I've been looking for more for some time. The ReefTorch we ran over the Solana I personally liked better, based on light spread and coverage. Thought it did color band a little bit, which is something the Kessil is phenomenal at not doing. The result of the single large chip of the kessil is awesome shimmer, and I have a feeling that I'll miss that, but we are gaining some more brightness and spread.

These lights have some serious specs, and operate in Master/Slave mode wirelessly. I pushed a program to the master, and the slave acted in sync.

Article reviewing and comparing the Mitras against the Radion Pro's & AI Hydras.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/8/review

Lightening Storm Simulation:

GHL Light Composer: