SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
BBouch

2015 Keys Trip To Marathon Key With Snorkeling Excursion June 19, 20, 21

I was worried when TS Bill was forming. But since the track has taken it to Texas it pulled a lot of the rain with it and our weather for the Keys looks great! Good news!

Wind: low teens gusting to mid teens with waves of 1.3' to 1.6' is a bit more than I would like. we've been spoiled the last couple of visits to the Keys with near flat water and no wind. These conditions could be just fine, or in the worst case, may need us to do a bit of location picking. The big reef should be OK visibility (fingers crossed). Near shore snorkeling may be good, or visibility on the windward side of the islands may be a bit low, but we know places on the lee side of islands that are always good fun to snorkel. Looking forward to another good weekend in the Keys. We should get to Blackfin by mid afternoon on Friday and will do a short snorkel on Friday before dinner.

We were down there last weekend. I would recommend taking US 27 off of 75 down to the FL Turnpike on the way there and the same thing on the way back. Sunday they had a portion of 75 between the 27 exit and the FL Turnpike exit completely closed and it was a traffic nightmare. Not sure if it is fixed yet, but maybe best to not take the chance.

I may be strange but I enjoy taking 41 to Krome Ave. Little longer but less traffic. Plus I watch the gators along the way!

Hey Goby Go. Glad to see you are going. Where you staying and when you heading down?

To be determined drastic times mean drastic measures I may head down Friday night and crash on the beach or a parking lot no idea. And most likely heading home Saturday night. Nothing set in stone just the kinda thing I do.

We had a club member do the same thing. He slept in his car at the Blackfin. I think someone took pity on him and let him sleep on the floor.

I have traveled something like 9 country's in the back of my Mini Cooper ( the old tiny style) on the weekends while I was on tour in Germany with the army.

Anybody going to the Keys, do yourself a HUGE favor if you don't like Miami expressway traffic, and I hate it. Take 27 south and 997 south to Homestead and hook back up with US-1 there. It's a much more relaxing drive.

I have heard from most of you about confirming the boat reservation but I have not heard back from:

RickO +1

awpeacock

Bocaboy +1

Gates and Mike

Johnnyhaze

Jdhuyvetter

Let me know if you have reserved or are making a reservation for the boat please

Brian

So as for a dive flag it obviously has to fly above the water and be visible. My question is dose it get tied off, anchored or tethered to your person and toed around?

As for the diver flag we tether it to us. This does not include the boat snorkeling. We use it when we go from the beach. 2 years ago we did not have our flag because we were in 2-3 feet of water right off the beach at the horseshoe and we were stopped by FWC and told we needed it. It is always a good idea to have one when you are snorkeling. They are not that expensive. Also if you go with a group from the club good chances there will be flags but I would get your own just in case. Make sure you tie good knots. Last year (not naming names HAHA) a scout master did not tie a good knot and had to chase the flag down. :lol: :lol:

Brian - Gates and Mike are registered and paid with dive trip and Blackfin resort. 239-994-9816 Mobile (for anyone to get in touch with us)

When are you guys heading down to the Keys?

Friday afternoon - time undetermined due to business demands

Hoping to be in Keys before sundown (but I've never accomplished that)

Staying at BlackFin. You won't recognize Gates.

By this time tomorrow I plan on being further south than I have ever ventured. As it stands now Deerfield is my furthest point.

Please print out one of each waiver for each person in your group and fill out.

Here are the Waivers for the snorkel trip we need you to fill out one of each for each person going out on the boat and they will be collected when you are ready to board the boat Saturday morning.

Many thanks to Brian, Cindy and the rest of the board of directors for putting the trip to the Keys together. It was a great time with perfect weather and a great snorkeling trip, sunset dinner and lots of collecting, including trash. Lisa and I did not make it this morning to JP Aquatics on the way home because we were in the water looking for more shells and clean up crew inverts. Thanks again to the club putting this trip together and to all the friends that made it a special trip.

RickO