SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
BBouch

2015 Keys Trip To Marathon Key With Snorkeling Excursion June 19, 20, 21

Well we were supposed to be on our way down to the Keys today but the grand kids got a virus and we had to postpone the trip. :(/> So our new dates is the club trip. We have booked at the Blackfin. I will ask Carol to update how many we will have going snorkeling.

Sorry for your delay but I'm glad you guys will be with us.

I am looking forward to this a lot I got a new snorkel (tribord easy breath) trying it out at sanibel tomorrow. Do I need to do any more than say I am going dose someone want my money or what.

Gates and Michael are confirmed for the weekend (Wayne & Carol - We are at Blackfin resort also).

For those that know my son, you'll find us in the water!

Two for snorkeling on the boat.

(Brian - Excellent last post - Just the specific information I needed to confirm the trip. Thanks for your un-recognized efforts.)

Edited by GatesoRay

What are you waiting for?

IT'S ALMOST HERE!

Please check out the entire thread for suggestions and events and

Join us in the KEYS!

Keys trip is scheduled for the third weekend in June 19th - 21st. Please post if you are interested in going. At this time Rooms are booking fast and the suggestion is to book ASAP. We do not have enough for room rates but I have found the best rates on Booking.com.

Brian

We recommend you check out the Florida Regulations site for more information if you plan on diving in other locations for the rules and regulations of what you can and can not do. Dinner can be planned as a group or with Key West just over an hour away people may want to visit there Saturday evening. Other Areas of interest are Marathon Attractions.

I have the following members interested in the trip:

BBouch & Cindyw

Goby go

Ronreefman +1

ALW + 1

RickO +1

Seagullcat

awpeacock

Bocaboy +1

Ckeiling +3

Gates and Mike

Join in the fun, the sun and see the largest aquarium in Florida (The Reefs, of course) !

SEE YOU THERE!!!

Elaine and I are headed to the Keys Monday morning and will be back on Thursday afternoon. If anybody needs anything looked into or checked out, let us know here (we take our laptops) and we'll do what we can. We will be staying at Blackfin this trip and next month. We will probably snorkel the island behind Blackfin, Bahia Honda, the Horseshoe and Little Money Key. The winds are supposed to be light on Tues and Wed so we (Elaine) may be willing to get adventurous and take the inflatable out to Big Money Key or Little Bahia Honda Key. If anybody has other ideas for places we might check out, let us know and we'll do our best to get it done.

BTW, average May water temps at Marathon is 80F and it's currently 82F. But the time we (the club) goes down the average is about 84F and I expect it will be a touch higher... like 85F.

Ron

PS. How can you not want to go and enjoy scenes like this at Bahia Honda.

AwideanglepalmsR2_zps43a5aacf.jpg

Edited by ronreefman

UPDATED

We now have 21 going on this trip!

BBouch & CindyW

Goby go

Ronreefman +1

ALW + 1

RickO +1

Seagullcat

awpeacock

Bocaboy +1

Ckeiling +3

Gates and Mike

Johnnyhaze

Jdhuyvetter

Join up this will be a trip to remember!

Elaine and I snorkeled Little Blackfin yesterday and it was pretty so-so.

Today we did Rachel Shoals and the small island about 1/2 mile out from Little Blackfin. Weather is great, sunny, warm and light winds. At Rachel Shoals we did have a bit of a scare. I was about 4-5 feet from the vertical wall of the island in 3 feet of water when a shark swam by between me and the wall. Visibility wasn't great and he came from somewhat behind me, so I didn't see him coming. And as he swam by I really couldn't tell how big he was at first. So I was surprised and a little concerned. But as he swam away (toward Elaine) I could see it was a 2' to 3' nurse shark. I shouted to Elaine and it was already swimming past her the same way it did me, between her and the island wall. She was quick enough to get a photo though.

Shark%20fin_zpsawpij0a4.jpg

LOL! It was so close all she got was the fin on the side!

We did see another shark, a 3' bonnethead, several small barracuda, and I had a cormorant swim a couple circles around me while I was on my knees in 2' of water right next to some mangrove roots. It was so close I could have easily reached out and touched it. As it swam around I talked to it in a soft voice and it was looking at me and then back at the water, switching every 5 seconds. It was obviously not at all afraid of me. After 2 complete circles it swam toward the mangroves and disappeared. I was incredibly amazed to be so close to a wild brid and have it so completely clam and unafraid.

We also saw quite a few rock flower anemones at the 2nd island and a few of the most purple condy anemones I think I have ever seen. There were a lot of feather dusters and some good size tulip snails.

All in all it was a good day. We aren't sure about tomorrow, but if the wind is a slack as the weather is forecasting, 2-3mph, I'm going to try and talk Elaine into going to Big Money Key (she has always been unwilling to go there in the inflatable.

Ron

The weather was perfect, but Elaine wanted to do Bahia Honda rather than try for Money Key. The next time the weather is good (calm water) and now that we have an 11.5' Zodiac RIB with a 20hp Suzuki outboard, I'm going to Money Key with Elaine or with out her! It's only 1 mile from the boat ramp, and with the Achilles, which is a roll up inflatable with an air floor, the speed is limited to about 5 knots. The Zodiac should do close to 20 knots.

Anyway, the weather was great. Visibility was pretty good and we happened to get in the water about an hour before slack water high tide. We got out into fairly deep water for us, about 6'. But there were lots of very cool gorgonians and some flamingo tongue snails. If you haven't seen one in person, they are gorgeous colors! We saw a lot of the typical stuff that is off the beach at Bahia Honda, conch, sea stars, sea cucumbers, emerald crabs, lots of young tropical fish and a few big fish.

We are already looking forward to the club trip in June.

I am working on the Keys trip scheduled for the third weekend in June 19th - 21st. Please post if you have an interest in going. At this time Rooms are booking fast and the suggestion is to book ASAP. We do not have enough for room rates but I have found the best rates on Booking.com.

Brian

Current prices are for a Saturday morning trip with equipment included $25 per person 2 locations for an hour each. Rooms are booking rapidly and I have spoken to the Holiday Inn Express who starts at $159 a night. Other sites may give you a better price as we would need Ten(10) rooms to get a room rate with Holiday Inn.

Any separate snorkeling trip while in the keys would require you to have your own equipment. We recommend you check out the Florida Regulations site for more information if you plan on diving in other locations for the rules and regulations of what you can and can not do. Dinner can be planned as a group or with Key West just over an hour away people may want to visit there Saturday evening. Other Areas of interest are Marathon Attractions.

I have the following members interested in the trip:

BBouch & CindyW

Goby go

Ronreefman +1

ALW + 1

RickO +1

Seagullcat

awpeacock

Bocaboy +1

Ckeiling +3

Gates and Mike

Johnnyhaze

Jdhuyvetter

Brent + 2

For those who have already seen KP Aquatics, or are heading home on Monday, I have another stop you might consider. In Islamorada there is The History of Diving Museum.

https://www.google.com/search?q=history+od+diving+museum&oq=history+od+diving+museum&aqs=chrome..69i57.14850j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=history+of+diving+museum

We went there in 2013 and it was great! Lots of really old diving info and relics, lots of expensive diving equipment both old classics and newer exotics and a number of hands on exhibits you can play with for fun. They even have an aquarium and a library! One exhibit has 39 diving helmets, some historic, some very rare and some really important to the history of diving. If I remember correctly the curator told us those 39 helmets are worth between $4 to $6 million! And the exhibit does a nice spotlight story about many of them which takes about 10 minutes.If we are ever in the Keys to snorkel and get a day of really bad weather, we'll go there again.

Its two weeks to the Keys Trip!

Time to call Capt. Hooks and reserve your spot on the snorkel boat. We have 23 people who have expressed interest in going out on the snorkeling trip. I have spoken with Denise and have a list setup. Please call 305 743 2444 and reserve your spot now! Tell them you are with the Southwest Florida Marine Aquarium Society and you can pay for the trip or reserve your spot with 1/2 down now and the balance when we get there. The price is $25 + any applicable taxes per person and we will need to be at the Marina at 7:45 am Saturday June 20th to get ready to board the boat.

If you haven't joined us before NOW is the time! Two weeks left Join the rest of us in the KEYS!

Captain Hooks Marina and Dive Center

11833 Overseas Highway

Mile Marker 53

Marathon, FL 33050

(305) 743-2444 local

(800) 278-4665 toll free

Captain Hooks Site

Please print out one of each waiver for each person in your group and fill out.

Here are the Waivers for the snorkel trip we need you to fill out one of each for each person going out on the boat and they will be collected when you are ready to board the boat Saturday morning.

What marina are we meeting at?

Thanks for adding it to the post. We are planning our trip!

If you have not reserved your spot on the boat, what are you waiting for? Join us in the KEYS and let me know your on the boat!

I was worried when TS Bill was forming. But since the track has taken it to Texas it pulled a lot of the rain with it and our weather for the Keys looks great! Good news!