SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. RickO (single) will bring coleslaw. Anyone intrested in carpooling? RickO
  3. Yesterday
  4. awesome! my number is 239-233-2456 to schedule time.
  5. I can take it off your hands. I can pick it up tomorrow. Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  6. Kenya Tree Coral too large for my tank. Attached to live rock. $10
  7. Either way I think it looks fantastic man. I've always had troubles trying to take good photos that aren't washed out in blue light. Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  8. Save your cards after the last LFS. We will have some drawings at the BBQ. Prizes are TBD at this time, but I know we will have some ChemiPure and some powerheads.
  9. Last week
  10. So much has happened since I set this tank up. I'm going to keep it all in order though. I decided that the bare stand looked like crap so I went ahead and finished up the stand myself. It was the fastest and cheapest route to take. I encased the stand in wood and attached an outlet to the end that just ran straight to an outlet on the wall with an extension cord. this has since been removed though. After a short while, I switched out my cheap LED lights with 4 Kessil 360s and added a Neptunes systems Apex to the tank. I built a housing kit out of wood for the lights that just rests on either side of the tank. Everything was going good for a while until.... it wasnt.... I got a new job working out in cape coral and I really slacked on the tank for a while. I still replaced the gfo, cleaned the skimmer every now and added food to the auto feeder. But for the most part of about 9 months, the tank really got neglected. Towards the end of this 9-month period, I started to get this nasty thick alga in the tank. I've never seen it before. Once this crazy thick algae popped up, the fish and corals all started dying so I immediately started doing an extreme tank overhaul. After doing some research on the algae, some people were saying that It could be caused by carbon dosing while others say it could be caused by chemicals in air fresheners. Both of those sources could have caused it in my tank. so I ripped everything out of the tank, sprayed all the fuzzy growth off of the live rock with RODI water and did an 80% water change. I used this experience as an excuse to redo my rock work like any normal reefer. After putting all the rock back in the tank I used 2x4s and string to make arches and used Maco reef rock cement to lock it all in place. After the great tank overhaul, I decided to evaluate things that I could be doing better and learn from them. So I decided to remove the refugium (SInce i couldn't seem to grow chaeto that well anyway) and add a ZEOvit reactor. At the same time, I bought two 4 foot T5 fixtures and added another DOS to conduct continuous water changes. All this was done about 3 months ago and its been doing amazing. I have lost a few anthias because they seem to like sitting inside my powerheads when they are off. so ive lost 2 so far to getting chopped up in the powerhead. Hopefully, the others will learn from their fallen sisters. lol Now the only other venture that I have is growing Phytoplankton and pods. I bought this system from Poseidon's reef systems and its working pretty well. Eventually, id like to get into trading pods and phytoplankton for corals and such but well see how it goes. Here's a random shot from when the wife didn't want to go out to dinner for her birthday so I brought the restaurant to her. lol
  11. Hi Mike, You have to be a paid club member to post items in our for sale section. You can follow the instructions on the Join Us page to pay for an annual membership to SWFMAS. Your post counter has been updated to reflect your post count. It appears to have been cached. Thanks, Matt.
  12. They're moving... again. Looks like it is going to be a bigger location. Should be nice.
  13. I like the rock scape on this tank.
  14. I have heard of some using bleach to sterilize it as well. I assume the bleach will evaporate out. You can google the bleach part and see if it is worth it.
  15. I am having the same problem. I want to post a 150 gallon tank that I have but the part to start a new topic isn't showing up. It is also showing that I only have 2 posts which is inaccurate.
  16. Earlier
  17. We are already booked at Blackfin for Thursday the 13th thru Sunday the 16th. If anybody intends to get down Thursday or Friday and wants to do a snorkel, we will be doing some on both Thursday afternoon and all day Friday. We will also have our Zodiac there so we can get out to some off shore islands like Little Money Key, Money Key or Little Bahia Honda Key. Jeff, we haven't had the pleasure of seeing KP Aquatics in person and would love to stop there on the way out Sunday. I'd even consider making an online order and picking it up in person. Looking forward to this trip.
  18. Other Poker Run "Stuff" Saltwater Solutions is offering the following discounts to club members during the Poker Run 10% off coral purchases 15% off invertebrate purchases (max 5) 20% off fish purchases Seachem goodie bags for participants A discount coupon with any purchase for your next visit The Barrier Reef Pictures of the actual coral for the high hand winner
  19. Our April meeting will be Saturday, April 27. This meeting will consist of a Poker Run with some of our LFS. This will consist of handing out cards at each stop and the high hand winning prizes. The schedule is below (with the rules below that) 9:45 am - Meet in parking lot at Joefish Aquatics to get first deal of cards 10:00 am - JoeFish Aquatics - 16205 S. Tamiami Trail, Ste 4, Fort Myers 11:00 am - High Hand prize drawn at JoeFish Aquatics - Prize is a custom in the tank/sump acrylic frag rack. Give Joe the dimension and he will make it for you. Maximum size for this rack is 24-inches 11:45 am - Lunch at Buffalo Chips on Old US 41 in Bonita Springs (or other area restaurant - your choice.....I'm writing this and that is where I am going) 1:00 pm - Saltwater Solutions - 11100 Bonita Beach Road, Ste 104, Bonita Springs 2:00 pm - High Hand prize drawn at Saltwater Solutions - prize is TBD and will updated this week 2:45 pm - The Barrier Reef - 13040 Livingston Road, Unit 8, Naples 3:45 pm - High Hand prize drawn at The Barrier Reef - Prize is a Cynurina coral (actual coral in pictures below) 4:30 pm - BBQ at John aka blackthunda77's house in Golden Gate. There will be a final high hand drawing at 5 pm with whatever cards you have left. Prize is TBD pending MASNA and will be updated later this week. Poker Run Rules You must be a paid member of SWFMAS* to participate in the poker run prizes (not paid, you are still welcome to tag along, or you can join in advance through the website or in person the morning of the run) *One hand/set of cards per membership. Seven cards will be given out at the first stop with three cards given out at each additional stop. If you make purchases at a given stop, you will be eligible to receive additional cards as outlined below. (If you miss the first stop, you can still get your three cards plus purchases at whatever stop you join the Poker Run) If you make a purchase at a given store, you will receive one extra card. For each additional $50 in value of your purchase(s), you will receive an additional card (Ex. $5 purchase = 1 extra card. $51 to $100 = 2 extra cards. $101 to $150 purchase = 3 extra cards...and so on). Obviously, purchases must be made prior to the drawing for the high hand at that given store. Pick you best five cards for your hand. Winner will turn in the winning hand (but can keep any extra cards for the next stop). Losers can keep their cards for the next stop. At each additional stop, you will be given three more cards plus extra cards for purchases as outlined in #3 above. Repeat items #4 and #5 until we run out of stops and prizes. BBQ - RSVP and Side Dishes The BBQ is a bring a dish event. SWFMAS will cover meats, bread, plates, utensils and drinks - SWFMAS members will bring a side dish or a desert. Please post up how many will be in your party and what side dish you will bring. We will update below so you can see what people are bringing. Please RSVP by Thursday, April 25, 5 pm so we can get a head count to go grocery shopping! Jeff (jdhuyvetter) - Whatever is missing (I do the grocery shopping for the club. So, if there are any missing sides or deserts, that is what I pick up for my contribution) Matt (zyphen) - Veggie tray
  20. We had our BOD meeting last night and the Keys trip was part of the planning discussion. RickO is going to reach out to the Blackfin and a snorkel boat to lock down dates. Once that is done, I am going to reach out to Mote, Florida Key Aquarium, Turtle Rescue and/or KP Aquatics to lock in secondary stops. Dinner location will be the last thing to lock in. All of these will be scheduled for a Saturday (except KP Aquatics. That will be a Sunday stop on the way out of the Keys) We will update as these things happen. For past years, the club only organizes Saturday events as people tend to make different travel plans for Friday and Sunday ( or possibly stay longer). When that happens, they will usually post up anything they have planned for Friday or Sunday in case someone else wants to come along.
  21. Is there more information on the keys trip? Where, who to call to make reservations and such?
  22. Partially updated. Waiting on confirmation from two stops. Hope to do a meeting announcement today.
  23. Can someone update the information concerning the tour of aquariums happening this month (April 2019)? I can't find any updated information about it.
  24. Forgot to add that the float switch was used in conjunction with an apex breakout box. Not sure what other controllers it will work with, but it can always be used without the switch hooked up. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  1. Load more activity