SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
Eric Noa

Reef Crystals Salt Mix Group Buy

Im trying to get a group buy going for the 200 gallon mix box of Reef Crystals and just wanted to get an idea of how many people would be interest and the number of boxes everyone would want. The price would be $45.99 per box. As I get more details I will post them here.

Please read the Group buy rules and post all needed info

Group Buy Rules

1. All Group Buy threads must be started by a club member. Guests are

allowed to participate, but not run a Group Buy.

2. All Items listed in the Group Buy must have either a selling price, or

target discount amount for the GB sale as a whole.

3. All Group Buy’s must have a documented source, no phantom suppliers

will be allowed.

4. All Group Buy’s must have a start and finish date. These dates can

change during the GB process, but there will be no open ended GB’s.

5. Vendors, even if they are sponsors, are not allowed to contribute to

the Group Buy except to answer questions regarding the products. Photo’s

and prices must be maintained by the thread starter. If a GB is being done

with a Sponsor and the Sponsor wishes to contribute with Prices, Photos

etc, then the thread starter can ask Mod Staff to move the thread to the

Sponsors forum, with a re-direct entry maintained in the GB Forum.

6. All Group Buy threads must have a running list of purchasers in the

thread. If a purchaser wishes to maintain privacy on what is being

purchased, substitute their user name with an alias.

7. Payment method must be spelled out in the initial Group Buy post.

8. Location of pickup and delivery options must be spelled out in the

thread and all products must be delivered to the Group Buy thread starter,

not a third party or location. If you the thread starter does not wish to

post specific location, give the basic information such as city or

zipcode.

9. All Group Buy's will be conducted in the "WTB Forum"

10. Group buy's should be approved by the BOD prior to posting (to prevent potential conflicts with other club functions)

Eric,

Anybody can get 200 gallon box of IO Reef Crystals for $8 more, delivered to their door for free along with a free T-shirt (I know, big deal) through Drs Foster & Smith. But is it worth saving $8 and have to go pick it up? Nothing personal here, but Drs F&S have been really good sponsors to SWFMAS and anybody who has used one of their $25 gift certificates that they put in their bags at our Reef Conference has benefited from that sponsorship.

Ron

My answers to you post are listed below in RED.

Now let me say this, I have done 2 group buys from Jebao and a few from BRS and not ONCE have I asked permission for those group buys and none of the BOD has ever said anything to me in regards to those group buys and not asking for permission. Some of these rules are good but the majority are common sense. You obviously need to list a price if not how could people say they want whatever is being offered in the group buy? You get my point right?

The only rule that I really think applies to my "group buy" is rule #10. My previous group buys didn't really "conflict with other club functions" therefore; no one said anything about me not following the rules but Im pretty sure this one conflicts with LFS Sponsors since its for SALT.

In the end I could care less about this group buy and the rules. I was just trying to save you and everyone else a few dollars on something we all need but I guess that was not appreciated, shame on me for trying to help.

Feel free to closed this thread as I won't been pursuing this group buy anymore. Everyone can go get it from JoeFish (nothing against him or his store, I've only met him once but seems like a nice guy and very helpful)

Please read the Group buy rules and post all needed info

Group Buy Rules

1. All Group Buy threads must be started by a club member. Guests are

allowed to participate, but not run a Group Buy.

I am a paid member

2. All Items listed in the Group Buy must have either a selling price, or

target discount amount for the GB sale as a whole.

Price is listed

3. All Group Buy’s must have a documented source, no phantom suppliers

will be allowed.

This was never meant to be the official group buy thread, just wanted to get a head count on the number of people interested

4. All Group Buy’s must have a start and finish date. These dates can

change during the GB process, but there will be no open ended GB’s.

Again just wanted to get a head count on the number of people interested so a start or end time was not set or needed as this was not an official group buy thread.

5. Vendors, even if they are sponsors, are not allowed to contribute to

the Group Buy except to answer questions regarding the products. Photo’s

and prices must be maintained by the thread starter. If a GB is being done

with a Sponsor and the Sponsor wishes to contribute with Prices, Photos

etc, then the thread starter can ask Mod Staff to move the thread to the

Sponsors forum, with a re-direct entry maintained in the GB Forum.

Does not apply to my thread as Im neither a vendor or sponsor

6. All Group Buy threads must have a running list of purchasers in the

thread. If a purchaser wishes to maintain privacy on what is being

purchased, substitute their user name with an alias.

The purpose of this thread was to get a list of people interested to then start the official group buy thread.

7. Payment method must be spelled out in the initial Group Buy post.

Again just wanted to get a head count on the number of people interested so this information was not set or needed as this was not an official group buy thread.

8. Location of pickup and delivery options must be spelled out in the

thread and all products must be delivered to the Group Buy thread starter,

not a third party or location. If you the thread starter does not wish to

post specific location, give the basic information such as city or

zipcode.

Again just wanted to get a head count on the number of people interested so this information was not set or needed as this was not an official group buy thread.

9. All Group Buy's will be conducted in the "WTB Forum"

Thats where this thread is

10. Group buy's should be approved by the BOD prior to posting (to prevent potential conflicts with other club functions)

By functions do you mean LFS Sponsors?

Edited by Eric Noa

Eric,

Anybody can get 200 gallon box of IO Reef Crystals for $8 more, delivered to their door for free along with a free T-shirt (I know, big deal) through Drs Foster & Smith. But is it worth saving $8 and have to go pick it up? Nothing personal here, but Drs F&S have been really good sponsors to SWFMAS and anybody who has used one of their $25 gift certificates that they put in their bags at our Reef Conference has benefited from that sponsorship.

Ron

We all know that. But we also know if we are buying gas and price is .05 cents cheaper across the street most likely 99.9% of the people will go to that gas station without thinking that they are only saving $1 if they were to buy 20 gallons. Nothing related to salt but you get the idea right?

Eric this has nothing to do with Joefish or LFS. It has to do with issues of other group buys in the past. The BOD at the last meeting reviewed the rules and decided we need to start enforcing them because other issues. Please feel free to ask for interest again. We just want to make sure all of the rules are kept in case of an issue. You were not singled out or anything like that. We just want to make everyone aware that there are rules to group buys on the forum.

It just didn't feel that way but either way Joefish is giving us a better deal and I don't have to do any work so why make things harder. Either way thanks for your respond.

By functions do you mean LFS Sponsors?

This rule is actually in place because we don't allow group buys for items close to events or meetings that have those items available. An example of this would be that the club used to run membership drives at LFS where the LFS would discount an item in order to attract customers which we would sign up as club members. In that case for example, a group buy for the same salt would not be allowed within 30 days of the membership drive, as it interferes with club activities.

Wayne did not post those rules to single you out or because you were breaking rule #10. He posted it because he read your post as you starting a group buy without a documented source or start and end dates. You responded that this wasn't a group buy, but just a feeler post and that is fine and all we needed to know.

Thanks,

Matt.