SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
blackthunda77

Blackthunda77's 80 Gal Rimless To 195 Gal Custom Upgrade

So i was able to close on a house a couple months ago and i promised myself i would upgrade to a larger tank once i do so. I scored on a nice size tank. Its a 60x30x25 with dual corner overflows with 3/4" glass all around. The overflows are nice in that they are glass but with an acrylic/starboard like material covering them so they are blacked out.

DISCLAIMER*** This will be a slow build to take off. Im not moved over to the new house and only go there on weekends right now and between working on the house, the land, and the tank, things will be slow to take off (tank wise) till im officially moved in.

In any event, ill include some pics of my current set up, and a pic of the current tank just for kicks.

vymapuva.jpg

y4ymy5y5.jpg

hy6yqymy.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3226.jpg

IMG_3229.jpg

And the new tank with a little more real estate.

IMAG1498.jpg

Since i wont be able to start this build for a little while i decided to plan everything out in advance. Heres a little sketchup i did of what direction i think im going. I plan to make a minimalistic stand. Mainly just a frame, wrapped in plywood which will be skinned with a dark ash veneer. The boards will be held in place with magnets so all pieces will be able to be removed for maintenance. The top trim im making with a 2" wide piece of wood to hid the plastic trim and to match the stand. The counter top will be of poured concrete. Ive always wanted to try my hand at that and am planning on doing it to the outside kitchen so i figured id test it out on my stand which will be smaller.

TANK.jpg

TANK2.jpg

Started designing the sump. Its similar to what i have now, drain, skimmer, fuge, return. right now i have s standard 55 gal but im thinking im going to build my own custom sump this time from acrylic. 48x24x16. Same footprint as my current tank but my rimless is way to purddy to turn into a sump. lol

sump1.png

sump2.png

sump3.png

I decided to change up the sump a bit by swapping the return and the fuge. This way ill be able to control the GPH through the fuge and be able to slow it down to allow for better nutrient absorption.

sump4.png

sump5-1.png

sump6.png

sump7.png

Looks like this is going to be a bad ass build :)/>/>. Is your 80g moved over to the new house already?

Thanks! I forgot to update this thread, i updated on RC. Gotta get used to staying on top of this one.

Got some work done on the stand yesterday. Used the diy stand calculator to design it. Spanned it with 2x8s on the top so no need for a center brace.

myneqyte.jpg

uqynypav.jpg

naqyqy3a.jpg

Are you going to run dedicated power circuit(s) to the area? Water/network ?

Im not sure, however that would be an ideal set up. Right behind that wall is a decent sized laundry room. I might take over a bit of that area for some of the electronics like my apex unit, ballasts, etc. Not sure how fond of that idea my wife is going to be. :)/>

Also, Should be getting the acrylic for the sump this week so hopefully ill be able to start on that project this weekend.

Finally moved into the new house and had some time to work on the tank and stand. Framing of the stand is pretty much complete. Gave it 2-3 coats of kilz primer and will be skinning it in plywood. That will come later though. I wanted to get the frame done and the tank up to free up room in the house and to be able to start the plumbing. I also placed tint on the back glass to black out the back panel. Heres a couple pics. I should be starting on making the sump and plumbing this weekend.

In the mean time i think i will have to order a booster pump for my RO. Production has almost been cut in half since i moved from the east coast. My well water pressure tank is set at around 30 or so PSI. I spoke with a reefer neighbor of mine from the area and he said he does not run a booster pump. Might have to check with him to see what his pressure tank is set to. it takes me about 5-6 hrs to make 15 gals of ro when it used to take me about 2.5hrs. any advice would be appreciated.

IMAG1566.jpg

IMAG1572.jpg

IMAG1571.jpg

Got some more work done on the new tank. Mainly the sump. About 95% done.

7a5u6avy.jpg

yru7edu4.jpg

Still have to glue in some brackets for the filter floss area and some probe holders.

If anyone has any scrap acrylic laying around let me know.

Also need some base rock, Marco style. Looking for some if you have it. Cheap or free is best. Moneys tight right now. Wife has an interview today so hopefully that will change things for the better soon. The rock is the main thing holding me up right now. Im planning on building the structure outside the tank and then placing it in the tank once im happy with the aquastructure.

Well i got a good amount of the plumbing done today after multiple trips to the hardware store. Had to improvise a bit from my original sketch due to some space restraints and such but i think it will work out just fine. Tomorrow i will finish up the plumbing for the return pump.

Anyone know if there is a union adapter that will fit directly onto the thread from the Jebao/Waveline pumps? Not sure i want use the barbed fittings.

IMAG1606.jpg

IMAG1605.jpg

IMAG1607.jpg

Here is a pic of how the returns will be placed behind and above the tank rim.

IMAG1609.jpg

Also here is a pic of the plumbing almost complete. You can see how the return pump is plumbed basically. Only difference will be that the pipe from the pump to the first elbow will be replaced with another union. And yes, a 1 1/4" threaded adapter fit perfectly. I decided to go adapter to union instead of union to adapter because it allowed me to buy a 1" union instead of a 1 1/4" union. taking up less space and costing less :)/>

IMAG1612.jpg

I still have to install some pvc hangers or brackets. What do you guys recommend for dampening the vibrations from the PVC. I have some areas where the pipes are really close or touching the wood and am worrying about vibrations. Is there some kind of rubber i can use on those spots where there is touching?

You can also see a couple of the sections where i painted the plumbing with white krylon. Will continue that with the res of the plumbing once its all finalized.

Wow everything is coming along nicely. Nice work!

Will the overflow boxes be at the right height so you don't see the water line under the trim?

Did you water test already?

Thats a good point. I did not water test it yet. However, if worst comes to worst, i can just sillicone a strip of glass on the inside to raise the water lever a bit.

Wow everything is coming along nicely. Nice work!

Will the overflow boxes be at the right height so you don't see the water line under the trim?

Did you water test already?

Thats a good point. I did not water test it yet. However, if worst comes to worst, i can just sillicone a strip of glass on the inside to raise the water lever a bit.

Yea that would work.

Everything looks good so far but I think you will definitely be able to see the water line below the trim unless you add that piece of glass to make the water level higher.

If anyone is interested, i have a brand new 1.5" glass hole saw and 2 - 1.5" bulk heads. They just came in the mail. I was going to use them on the new tank but decided to go another route. Asking $30 or trade for some dry marco rock or salt for my new tank

Any thought on lining the stand with shower pan liner? Twice this has saved me (Thanks RON!) First time a union leaked and I found 3" of water in the stand. 2nd time my ATO line popped off and pumped 5 gallons in the stand. As for the vibrations, use either spa flex from the pump to the pvc or vinyl.

Im planning on caulking the corners of the inside of the tank. I have about 5 coats of Kilz applied, so with that and the calked edges it should be leak proof. Im planning on wet testing the tank in the next couple days so i will see how bad the vibrations are.

Im planning on caulking the corners of the inside of the tank. I have about 5 coats of Kilz applied, so with that and the calked edges it should be leak proof. Im planning on wet testing the tank in the next couple days so i will see how bad the vibrations are.

an even better reason to line the stand with pvc liner then. Your acrylic sump is going to get stuck to the stand sitting on painted wood. No big deal if you aren't planning to move it.. ever. Otherwise you're not gonna get it out once it sits for a while.

an even better reason to line the stand with pvc liner then. Your acrylic sump is going to get stuck to the stand sitting on painted wood. No big deal if you aren't planning to move it.. ever. Otherwise you're not gonna get it out once it sits for a while.

I was planning on putting it on a thin sheet of styrofoam

I saw further up that you were looking for base rock. It just so happens that we have a sponsor store offering to bring base rock in on a pre-order basis:

link to the post

Thanks, i will check on that.

Did a wet test wednesday. Good News, No Leaks, bad news, tank is SLIGHTLY not level. Not much but just enough to annoy me and to make the overflows uneven. In any event, i left the tank running overnight, adjusted the herbies and the refugium drain. I have to admit, im very pleased on how quiet the system is as a whole and i havent even added any rubber dampeners to the pipes or brackets yet to absorb vibration. Also the Jebao pump is performing very well and is extremely quiet.

I drained the tank in the morning, leveled it and am now filling it in with RO/DI. Its taking a loooooong time, lol. Hopefully it it will be full by the end of the weekend. In the mean time im giving the inside of the stand another coat of kilz and will be sealing the edges to make it watertight. I also have to finish plumbing the manifold for my reactors and and painting the remaining plumbing.