Welcome to SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

wiszmaster

Mega BBQ/Smoke Thread

110 posts in this topic

We grill a ton on our charcoal, and smoke pork butt, brisket etc on it.

What do you grill, and what do you grill it on?

Burgers and chicken on charcoal (just a little smokey joe) and smoke briskets in the propane smoker.

Will

I grill steaks, chicken, stuff like that on a gas grill. I smoke venison, pork and brisket on a propane smoker. Haven't mastered the brisket yet, yours looks real good though

Just love this time of the year, yesterday and today the weather has been perfect! Humidity has been down, slight breeze!

I "fragged" some of the trees with a chainsaw yesterday... This is only about 1/4 of it.

9ebe7uzu.jpg

ape4ybez.jpg

Then we had some friends over, Tina grilled up some delicious BBQ chicken drums and flap steak.

Today we've smoked 2x pork butts, and now a couple slabs of ribs!

Pork butts came out of the smoker about 3 hours ago, and moved to the "cooler" for passive cooling... Will stay in the cooler box for another hour or two to slowly finish cooking. Then off to be pulled.

8ype2u3u.jpg

te2uheje.jpg

Ribs went on about 2.5-3 hours ago...

5ygy3etu.jpg

Just checked on the ribs.. Looking good!

esa8e9ad.jpg

I thought you were doing family time this weekend. I guess that means "honey do" list. Or you just needed a way to vent family time with a chainsaw. :lol:/> :lol:/>

YEA!

Unless your inviting us over then I just don't understand this post

Unless your inviting us over then I just don't understand this post

:lol:/> :P/>: :lol:/> :lol:/>

I thought you were doing family time this weekend. I guess that means "honey do" list. Or you just needed a way to vent family time with a chainsaw. :lol:/> :lol:/>

Family time as in seeing them, not working away... Hadn't planned on the "fragging" - but the BBQ was planned!

No I think they smoked it.

Lmao!

du2eteqe.jpg

u8e5utam.jpg

Somehow I don't have a picture of the pulled pork, but rest assured, it was smoked and super yummy!

Mind sharing the receipe?

We rub the pork, and the ribs the night before.

Different rubs, depending on who we feed, some of our rubs have more kick than others. Generally they have peppers, paprikas, sugar, salt, etc... hodgepodge of things.

As for the actual smoking:

We always try to keep the temp around 225*F, never have the meat in direct heat. Always keep a bowl with water, this helps keep the humidity up, control the temp better and keep the meat from drying out.

We generally smoke the meat for 5-7 hours, usually right around 6 hours and the pork butt reaches an internal temp of 160*F, anywhere between 160-170*F we pull it off, and tent it, and place in a "cooler" with blankets and keep closed for 2-3 hours. This will allow the meat to continue cooking internally, and the fat melts.

We then pull it out, and let cool down for 15-30 minutes, before cutting/pulling... otherwise the meat will dry out due to evap.

We save the juices, and re-add during/after pulling, and any leftovers get a little extra saved juice to prevent dry meat when re-heating.

Pork butt still in same aluminum pans from smoking, tented with aluminum foil to contain heat, seated in cooler.

y4evebys.jpg

As for smoking the ribs, we smoke/cook them over indirect heat as well. We try to keep the grate surface around 225*F as well, thought today it ran a bit hotter ... usually the ribs take around 2.5 - 3.5 hours, we create a charcoal snake on the outside perimeter of the bowl in 2 rows, and place wood every few inches on top of the snake. Large water vessel in the center to catch drippings and control humidity/temp stability ... and walk away.

Marco... You the men!! Everything looks delicious!

I been thinking about getting me a Traeger wood pellet grill. Have you seen or used one before?

7lbs, 10oz pork butt.

Started this morning at 7:30, pork went on 8:20

3eva5ymy.jpg

7y5amu7u.jpg

daty9yda.jpg

It's got a few more hours, we decided to try smoking lower, and slower with this one. After 5 hours 20 min, it's only at ~147*F... Probably 2-3 more hours in the smoker.

uhavana4.jpg

Who's hungry, and ready for dinner?!

About 30 min ago we tented it @ 157*F. Was smoking for 6 1/2 hours.

It's cooking on high temp now, pushing it over the stall.

uguzevej.jpg

te8upe2y.jpg

It's now @ 185*F internal temp, grill is @ 356*F

ade5utep.jpg

Pulling it off in 15min... Then cooldown

Cooling down and passively cooking:

e4yry7yp.jpg

Pulled out of the cool down cooler:

enada9ut.jpg

Pulling apart:

py7atyma.jpg

Pulled, added some juice back in, and some BBQ sauce

uba9u2ez.jpg

Yum... That was pretty good!

Marco... You the men!! Everything looks delicious!

I been thinking about getting me a Traeger wood pellet grill. Have you seen or used one before?

Thank you! It was pretty good, me thinks! Ask Wayne... He didn't send his plate back :)/>

I've seen some of the wood pellet grills and smokers, not sure if the Traeger specifically. Costco had some manufacturer come in through their road show a year or 2 ago with grills... They seemed pretty neat, but expensive in my eyes, and I didn't like the electronics part, for an outdoor unit. Also the wood pellets... Can't get them everywhere, charcoal I could get at Publix, Walmart or even gas station if need be... The pellets not everywhere..

But if you do get one, let me know how you like it... They seem interesting and people seem to like them.

Marco... You the men!!

<----I agree, based on that amount of food he must eat like several men, not just one man.

David Letterman called and said top 10 things Marco may be.......

10. Rude for sharing nothing but photos with us

9. Close to 90% blocked arteries

8. In for a terrible time on the toilet

7. A super fan of those "Meatbay" commercials

6. A person with a huge fear of vegetables

5. A caveman that just discovered fire

4. BBQ Pitmaster wannabe

3. A nightmare to his downwind neighbors

2.. Trying to get a dog to like him

1. Slowly smoking himself

Marco... You the men!!

<----I agree, based on that amount of food he must eat like several men, not just one man.

David Letterman called and said top 10 things Marco may be.......

9. Close to 90% blocked arteries

8. In for a terrible time on the toilet

7. A super fan of those "Meatbay" commercials

4. BBQ Pitmaster wannabe

2.. Trying to get a dog to like him

1. Slowly smoking himself

LMAO!

I can neither confirm nor deny the following:

4. BBQ Pitmaster wannabe

We live on a canal and right off the river, someone actually came by boat into our canal from the river, and said they could smell us smoking the meat on the river. WIN!

And #10 is only partially accurate ... I shared more than just photos with both Wayne & Carol :D/> :(/> :)/>

I posted pics all day, we kept joking and expecting people to just show up. lmao.

Well I have my own conspiracy theory regarding this whole story so here we go.......

First for the holes in the story

1. Marco isn't in any of the pictures, what kind of people don't want to be photographed? Bad people, that's who.

2. Based on the pics, that is one heck of a big house, people who own a house that big tend not to cook their own meals, nor do they frag their own trees, they have "people" who do those things for them.

3. Since we are on the tree trimming subject, there was a whole season of Dexter where the tree trimmer was a serial killer, Hmmm......

4. Now back to that house I noticed it looks like it isn't made of straw, not made of wood either, nope that house is made of of brick like materials. Anyone see where this is going yet?

5. Supposedly a chainsaw was used to trim all those trees but how is it there are only a few pieces on the ground? Because nobody would have enough time to rub, and grill, and smoke all that meat at the same time they are trimming all those trees, that's why.

6. Now for the meat, no mention of where it came from, what a mysterious omission of fact. I'll tell you where it came from, the owner of that house, that's right.

7. No man could eat all that meat and live to talk about it, not even Joey Chestnut <-- (google it). So what kind of blood thirsty animal could consume mass amounts of meat, a wolf, that's what kind.

8. I just happen to know of a serial killing wolf that goes around killing the owners of homes of poor quality construction, but the one obstacle that has always stopped the chain of death is a home of superior building materials like bricks.

So by now we all know Marco is the BIG BAD WOLF and he used that landscaper ploy from Dexter to lure that little pig out of his house. Then he killed the pig, cut him up with the chainsaw, and grilled his butt LITERALLY!!!

Then he consumed the evidence of the crime, and came here to brag about it.

sumbitch_zps4d4a7de0.png

In my vast knowledge of suspense films, I've found that who has the most detailed insight on what happens is most likely to be the culprit. I'm on to you Joe!

Moms 50th birthday tomorrow, having party at our house.

Mom wanted pulled pork; so here we are, smoking a 6lbs 7oz pork butt overnight.

Meat just went in... We'll check on it a few times throughout the night.... If you're in the area, please feel free to check, add charcoal and wood :P/>

sa4ydava.jpg

Not to highjack this thread but maybe someone can help and by someone I mean Marco :)

Im looking for a marinate and dry rub recipe for a pork butt. Never smoked anything but planning on smoking a pork butt this weekend so any tips would be helpful.