SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
FishinBob

Fishinbob's Reef Journey Elos 160xl

Well glad I found this site nice to have a local group!! Well new to reefing in general this is my first experience with SW and wow it's awesome! I'm pretty handy and I prefer building my own stuff(love to tinker) here's what I got!

Standard 90 gallon tank

Custom DIY40 breeder sump/fugue

Custom DIY oak stank

Custom DIY oak canopy(building now)

Reef octopus extreme 200 skimmer

Mag 9.5 return pump

2 hydor korolias 1400 gph

Custom DIY led fixture 84 led total with dimmers(currently 2 t8 bulbs until I get the canopy done)

40lbs Fiji rock

45lbs of pukani dry rock from BRS

85lbs of Florida aquacultured rock from Floridaliverock.com

Enough blabbering here are the pics!

Building the stand

c6e4e963-e836-9c34.jpg

c6e4e963-e859-1c25.jpg

c6e4e963-e871-55ff.jpg

c6e4e963-e894-1fda.jpg

c6e4e963-e8ab-2b32.jpg

Building the sump

c6e4e963-e8ca-6b27.jpg

c6e4e963-e8e9-8a45.jpg

c6e4e963-e903-1e83.jpg

c6e4e963-e91e-5fcf.jpg

Building the LEDs

c6e4e963-e949-1570.jpg

c6e4e963-e98e-c7dd.jpg

c6e4e963-e9ab-22b8.jpg

c6e4e963-e9bf-15d5.jpg

c6e4e963-e9cf-3699.jpg

The tank finally set up!!

c6e4e963-ea28-5e0e.jpg

c6e4e963-ea3d-324e.jpg

c6e4e963-ea78-8455.jpg

c6e4e963-eae9-4cca.jpg

c6e4e963-eb16-dc51.jpg

c6e4e963-eb47-2540.jpg

c6e4e963-eb86-ebeb.jpg

c6e4e963-eba0-78a7.jpg

c6e4e963-ebd3-dd23.jpg

These are all a couple weeks old... Fuge is now overgrown... Finally getting some coralline growth on glass and pumps and getting ready to finish my canopy and put the LEDs up!!

Edited by FishinBob

Here are some pics from tonight!

c6e4e963-f15f-9224.jpg

In the tank one small clown, 2 Mexican turbos,11 astreas, 2 emeralds, 3 peppermints and various sponges and corals on the rocks

c6e4e963-f16f-3f69.jpg

In the fuge red,black,and white mangroves feather calupra, grape calupra, cheateo

c6e4e963-f182-e54d.jpg

Hey Bob,

GREAT job on the build! Seriously nice work on the look of the stand, good job with the sump and already doing your own leds. Very cool. I have a couple of questions:

1) How long has your tank been up and running?

2) Some of your LR (along the top mostly) looks very 'alive', did it come that way? It looks like LR from TBS in Tampa. If not, I'd love to know where you got it or how you got it to look that good?

3) I assume the white mangroves ar the ones up on the earthy looking plugs along the left side? Why did you decide to use so may mangroves and why all 3 types?

4) Do you spray the mangroves to get the salt off thr leaves? If so, how often?

I'm curious about the LR because I'm setting up a 55g 'local' tank and would like some good looking LR.

Part of the reason for my asking about the mangrove is that I've got a 2'x2' refugium with a DSB and I want to get 1 or 2 red mangroves standing up on prop roots. I have about 8 propagules in a vase now and about half are starting to show roots. I plan to take one and put it in the refugium but hold it so the roots are above the sand. As they get closer, I'll move the propagule up and up, eventually getting it out of the water and then let the prop roots get into the sand.

Again, congrats on more than just a great looking tank, you have a very cool looking system!

Ron 8)/>/>

Hey Bob,

GREAT job on the build! Seriously nice work on the look of the stand, good job with the sump and already doing your own leds. Very cool. I have a couple of questions:

1) How long has your tank been up and running?

2) Some of your LR (along the top mostly) looks very 'alive', did it come that way? It looks like LR from TBS in Tampa. If not, I'd love to know where you got it or how you got it to look that good?

3) I assume the white mangroves ar the ones up on the earthy looking plugs along the left side? Why did you decide to use so may mangroves and why all 3 types?

4) Do you spray the mangroves to get the salt off thr leaves? If so, how often?

I'm curious about the LR because I'm setting up a 55g 'local' tank and would like some good looking LR.

Part of the reason for my asking about the mangrove is that I've got a 2'x2' refugium with a DSB and I want to get 1 or 2 red mangroves standing up on prop roots. I have about 8 propagules in a vase now and about half are starting to show roots. I plan to take one and put it in the refugium but hold it so the roots are above the sand. As they get closer, I'll move the propagule up and up, eventually getting it out of the water and then let the prop roots get into the sand.

Again, congrats on more than just a great looking tank, you have a very cool looking system!

Ron 8)/>/>

Thanks a ton Ron much appreciated!

1. Tanks been up and running since mid January.

2. Yup it's Florida rock from floridaliverock.com I met called Dale and took a road trip to Tampa and handpicked the rock he has great prices compared to TBS and from reviews he will hand pick ur order as you describe if you order from him I can't recommend enough I'm going to be getting around another 50lbs for my 10 gallon and some filler rocks for the 90!

3. Yup white and black mangroves are in the plugs on the left. I used all 3 well cause I wanted something "different" I grow them in my lil garden up front and just like the look honestly! I used alot yes but mangroves arnt as efficient at nutrient transport as other macros so more are needed! White and black mangroves are a dryer plant compared to the red so they stay mostly out of the water just roots stay in the water!

4. Well I do rinse every couple days but alot of people who don't understand mangroves think it's imperative to rinse daily!!! Well during dry season we might not get rain for months and the water is higher in salinity but mangroves still thrive! I just watch for falling debris and pick it off as needed maybe rinse every 3-5 days not every day as everyone says!!

Check out Floridaliverock.com you wont be disappointed!

What I did was just grow them in water with plenty of light get some tap roots and just kinda lodge them in some rock rubble to keep them upright and they will GROW!! Higher nutrients in the water and they will grow faster! They should be about 2/3 submerged no more or it may kill them keep the roots dark(either in the sand or under some rocks for faster growth) another thing is you want as much root exposed to the water as possible for nutrient uptake!

Thanks again I'm pretty happy how it turned out and will continue to update when I finally get the canopy and hang the LEDs!!!

Very nice looking tank. Where did you get your LEDs from and how do you like them so far?

Will

Thanks will!! I got the LEDs from rapidled.com cheapest that I found and the company was extremely helpful I will definitely use them again well I have only had the LEDs on over my 10 gallon tank and all I can say is wow they are bright!!! My frogspawn is upset almost anywhere I put it and the lights 24" off the sandbed! The shimmer is amazing and colors POP

Here a pic with 2 par8 bulbs from home depot

c6e4e8af-7e28-9dcd.jpg

Here is the fixture 14 Cree LEDs

c6e4e8af-7e4b-ef58.jpg

Here is the tank after the fixture hung

c6e4e8af-7e81-6dae.jpg

LEDs are bright it bleached my sps when I lowered the light and accidentally left the light on for 2 hrs longer for 3 days or so!!!

Very nice build and excellent documentation of the build.

I am curious to see how the LEDs work out. I have been contemplating building my own fixture. I know how to solder and did a fair amount when I was younger however I am really out of practice. What would you consider your level of soldering skill and how difficult was it to make?

Thanks Gary

Very nice build and excellent documentation of the build.

I am curious to see how the LEDs work out. I have been contemplating building my own fixture. I know how to solder and did a fair amount when I was younger however I am really out of practice. What would you consider your level of soldering skill and how difficult was it to make?

Thanks Gary

Thanks Gary!!! Well my experience is very limited before this build.. Maybe have done a half dozen or so solder joints mainly speaker wire, gps on my boat, trailer wiring nothing near this extent!! It's simple... Incredibly simple but time consuming! I think I had roughly 450 solder joints yes I know seems daunting but it's really not!! I used a radioshack 30watt iron and watched some YouTube videos thats it!!! Just buy like 3 or 4 tips and 60/40 LEAD rosin core solder make sure it's lead it will be much easier and some tip cleaner/flux and have at it! I did all the LEDs then went back though and redid just to ensure good joints! Since my fixture isn't up yet I was considering bringing it to the meeting if I can go so anyone who is interested can see one work!! But by all means it's way cheaper and fun to make your own!!! If u need any help I would be happy to guide or help I I could! Don't be afraid like I said this was my first project with more than 4 solder joints Hahah and I didn't burn out one led!!

Well finally got a day off both jobs and had a chance to start my canopy!!! Got the doors for the stand done too!!! Got all the main structure done just some detail moldings and stain and seal then I can finally hang my lights!!! Im going with 2 doors upfront and having the lid open completely so I can access entire tank if needed!! LFS store project is almost complete also made the canopy for the 90 corner stand just finish moldings and top hatches and that's done too!!

c6e4eabc-74db-0a8c.jpg

c6e4eabc-7481-7028.jpg

c6e4eabc-7494-3bfd.jpg

c6e4eabc-74a4-cd4d.jpg

c6e4eabc-74b2-61c6.jpg

LFS canopy and stand about done

c6e4eabc-7502-7795.jpg

c6e4eabc-7515-5b93.jpg

Looking great!

Q: I am guessing that you will have doors on the front of the canopy, the back is open - the top and three sides will be closed, my concern is ventilation - you may need some louvers on the sides or top to ventilate - or to help with smaller fans. Heat equals certain death for led's!

Yup back is open and I am going to cut a 6"x 40" hole in the top pretty much the whole heatsink will have air flow I have 2 BIG 165cfm 120v industrial muffin fans for the heatsinks might add a vent to each side if needed

That should do it! I used the little fans from Rapid LED - one on each heat sink - and have two large fans in the back for overall ventilation - your setup really looks great!

Edited by 180reefer

Thanks reefer! How many LEDs do you have and on what sized heatsink I used rapid led also great company! I was hopwing to use 2 smaller maybe 90 cfm Fans for the heat sink and the 2 larger ones for ventilation

I currently have 84 total LEDs on 2 heatsinks with 42 LEDs on each 6"x20" heatsink! Just have to put on the lenses and find a splash guard(1/8" acrylic) what's you canopy temp?

I have 3 250 SE Radiums in Lumenmax Elites and three sets of 12 LEDs on the 2 1/2 x 18" heat sinks - one of the little fans on each, and the 2 4" fans in the back, one on each side - no clue what the temp is in there, but the back is completely open, and the the top is about half open as well - it is a bow front, I have cut the canopy so it hinges open from the front for access - I think I have a picture of it - The last lumenmax is still sitting on a shelf in the garage!!

_DSC1772.jpg

You can see where I had to raise the canopy 6" to accommodate the MH's - really worked out well!

Edited by 180reefer

I have 3 250 SE Radiums in Lumenmax Elites and three sets of 12 LEDs on the 2 1/2 x 18" heat sinks - one of the little fans on each, and the 2 4" fans in the back, one on each side - no clue what the temp is in there, but the back is completely open, and the the top is about half open as well - it is a bow front, I have cut the canopy so it hinges open from the front for access - I think I have a picture of it - The last lumenmax is still sitting on a shelf in the garage!!

_DSC1772.jpg

You can see where I had to raise the canopy 6" to accommodate the MH's - really worked out well!

Nice setup reefer!!!! I was going to put a large 6"x 40" hole across the middle but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just put the top half of the heatsink outside of the canopy! The LEDs get hot but nowhere near those mh's! With the lights running 30-40% with no fans the heatsink is cool to the touch! I think a large vent across the top is definitely needed though! Maybe a fan or 2 across the back also I just want it to look clean!

Well finally have a day off so I added the lenses and fixed some bad wiring and switched some LEDs around and fired them up! Now I have 84 LEDs

30 royal blues

6 blues

32 cool whites

4 neutral whites

2 red

2 green

4 420 uv

With 80 optics on the blues and 60 on the whites. Canopy is just needs some stain and sealer then hanging these fixtures.. Once I put up 10-11" I know spotting and blending will be better! Looks great IMO little spotty but optics 2" from water will do it!

All blues and uv

c6e4e820-fcf0-3e31.jpg

Whites reds an greens

c6e4e820-fd0c-8a15.jpg

50/50 whites and blue

c6e4e820-fd34-708b.jpg

30/60 30 whites/70 blue

c6e4e820-fd5d-6b5d.jpg

Thanks Moore!! Canopy should .. I hope this week be finished and then hang the fixture! Then slowly start to stock the tank I'm going to frag some small zoas and GSP tonight and add some color to the tank! I think I'm going to start with a Duncan, hammer and frogspawn and misc zoas(green,red,yellow,blue) and a maze brain getting some anthias and another clown and some chromis tomorrow.... Then let the tank settle then some nicer fish maybe a small atlantic blue tang and a jawfish! I'm stoked it's finally comming together

Hey guys another Update tanks looking great added my phosban 150 with some BRS gfo and a dash of carbon to suck up some phosphates from the dry rock I'm guessing! LEDs have been temporarily up until I get some time off and finish my hood man do they look great!! Think I'm going to supplement with some atenic floros and maybe add a couple more UV's! Finally added some live stock! Added another

1 clown

3 lyretail anthias (lost one)

2 green chromis ( lost him too)

1 medium 3" favia brain

1 larger. 4-5" brain

1 zoa rock

1 mixed zoa and GSP rock

1 green hairy mushroom rock

And a ton of floating polyps

Paid around 80$ for all the corals seemed like a good deal to me!

Tha shabang

c6e4e941-783f-ed7b.jpg

c6e4e941-7868-2fff.jpg

Larger brain

c6e4e941-7877-3449.jpg

Smaller one

c6e4e941-788e-a161.jpg

Zoa rock

c6e4e941-78a9-299b.jpg

Hairy mushrooms

c6e4e941-78c1-09a5.jpg

Well added some more corals to the tank finally some color!!

Here's the full view

c6e4eb21-b028-5f5f.jpg

Added a 24 headed frogspawn

c6e4eb21-af0b-e3dd.jpg

Beautiful 5" orange Monti

c6e4eb21-af22-efe3.jpg

2 nice chalices one green and other a beige with green eyes

c6e4eb21-af72-5d42.jpg

c6e4eb21-af85-dc48.jpg

21 headed neon trumpet

c6e4eb21-af9a-b624.jpg

Red acan

c6e4eb21-afb1-8773.jpg

And misc zoas and cloves or GSP

c6e4eb21-afd6-d1c5.jpg

Also have a 10 gallon nano frag tank for the bedroom figure might as well share too! Looking to get a drill bit so I can clean up the tank a bit hate that bulky in tank filter!! Would love to upgrade to a 20 long and use the 10 as a sump!!

Light is a diy 14x 3w Cree fixture

Stock

Pachyseris sps(can't get to color back up after LEDs bleached it a bit)

GSP frags

Purple people eater zoas

Orange eye zoas

Golden gorgonian

Brown whip. Gorgonian

Red mushroom

Green ricordia

Some green paly polyps

2 headed frogspawn

4" orange Monti frag

2 blue mushrooms( behind a rock)

c6e4eb21-b3a6-dcd9.jpg