SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
wingsfan

Is My Clam Dying?

I moved my clam today higher in the tank for it to get more light because it wasn't fully opening anymore. I noticed that there appears to be a whole in the mantle inside the clam. I have attached two pics of it. one regular and one close up. I am not sure if this is normal or is it dying?

post-2987-030052100 1308090825_thumb.jpg

post-2987-008829400 1308090826_thumb.jpg

Gary,

I'm not seeing anything in the pics other than a couple of spots in the mantel. Is the hole around the inlet/mouth? I'm not a clam expert by any means but I have done a lot of reading online before I bought mine, and want to help.

Will

It looks like something has been nipping on the mantle. What fish do you have in your tank

I have the following fish

yellow tang

unicorn tang

orange shoulder tang

2 molly miller blenny

maderin goby

midas blenny

fire wrasse

2 clowns

pygmy angel

dottyback (don't remember the type)

Gary,

I'm not seeing anything in the pics other than a couple of spots in the mantel. Is the hole around the inlet/mouth? I'm not a clam expert by any means but I have done a lot of reading online before I bought mine, and want to help.

Will

This is the whole i was talking about but now I have done a bit of research I think it is supposed to be there.

post-2987-088313100 1308095297_thumb.jpg

Yes that hole is supposed to be there and if I'm not mistaken on a crocea it is open more than on other clams. Look up "gaping" on RC to make sure yours isn't gaping.

Will

Looks like the normal mouth to me, are there any other holes in the mantle? It doesn't look that bad, not fully extended, but not bad - observe the tank a while so the fish go back to their normal routine and see if any of them are picking a little... I had a derasa that my tangs would not leave alone...

looks normal to me and looks just like mine.angles and blennys are known to nip at clam mantles.this is a crocea right?crocea clams are rock boring clams and should not be placed on the sand bed.they should be placed high on the rock work with a lot of light.they like moderate flow not high flow.i have mine right on top and a little behind the overflow stack blocking most of the flow from my power-heads.its been there for many years and firmly attached.this however is just what has worked for me.

what lighting do you have it under?

I agree with Will, could be gaping.

Clams have 2 holes that are supposed to be there, an incurrent and excurrent siphon. The incurrent siphon is the bigger one, and generally is ringed with smaller tentacle like frills that they use to filter feed. Some of them have discolored spots on the mantle that are "windows" called irodophores that allow light into other parts of the mantle. So that could be the other spots on the mantle.

Your parameters look good, and I would defnitely try what Dave said, and move it onto some rocks. Another way to tell if teh clams are dying is if the mantle is pulling away from the shell and turing white, and if teh foot at the bottom is sucked up and shriveling. Crocea clams i think don't extend their feet as much as other species but use thread-looking filaments called byssal threads to hold themselves down.

Beautiful clam! Hope it's ok.

Edited by lucien2244

Honestly it doesn't look too terrible. It's pissed off, sure.

I wouldn't call that gaping. There are no signs of nipping from fish either (from the pics shown). If it were the light intensity, the clam would extend its mantle as far as possible due to lack of light exposure. Parameters look fine...

At night, check to see if there are any pyramid snails in-between the ridges at the top of the clam's shell. Something is irritating it.

Nick i will check it out tonight.

Dave,

Yes it is a crocea clam. It has always been on the rocks not in the sand. It used to be about 6 inches from the top of the tanks. I recently moved it to about 3 inches from the top if the tank.

The change in location doesn't seem like it has mattered. I have 2 - 250W metal halides. Replacement bulbs should be here this week. This may help since the bulbs are a bit old.

Flow may be an issue also. I will look into that also.

lucien

I will look into gaping and see if that is what is going on. I am just worried because i have had this clam for about 6 months and it has never been a problem. It used to open so nicely. There is a picture in y gallery of how it used to look.

Hopefully it will get back to that again.

I will look into gaping and see if that is what is going on. I am just worried because i have had this clam for about 6 months and it has never been a problem. It used to open so nicely. There is a picture in y gallery of how it used to look.

As far as gaping is concerned it could be very slightly gaping. But only borderline.

Gaping in and of itself isn't a 'disease' so to speak. It's a stress sign that the clam is going downhill.

It could be something stuck inside his byssal opening. You can check that, it's where the clam's foot comes out.

If you wave your hand over the aquarium and cast a dark shadow over the clam, does it close up immediately?

As far as gaping is concerned it could be very slightly gaping. But only borderline.

Gaping in and of itself isn't a 'disease' so to speak. It's a stress sign that the clam is going downhill.

It could be something stuck inside his byssal opening. You can check that, it's where the clam's foot comes out.

If you wave your hand over the aquarium and cast a dark shadow over the clam, does it close up immediately?

I put my hand over it and cast a shadow. The clam didn't close but the mantle retracted immediately.

Tried to pick it up and it is stuck to the rock by a thin thread looking thing.

The mantle retract when you shadow him is a very good sign.

But back up, in your original post when you moved your clam, did you move the rock with him or did you remove him from the rock?

Yeah, he should be sticking to the rock. I didn't realize he wasn't fully attached. His foot might be injured if you removed him. I would leave him be for the time being.

Edited by NickB

If its attached just leave it alone, don't try to move it. I lost a crocea trying to move it while it was attached. If the mantel reacted with the shadow, thats a good thing. just give it time and keep it happy.

Will

But back up, in your original post when you moved your clam, did you move the rock with him or did you remove him from the rock?

No i moved it because it was staying closed and the following morning it was laying on the bottom of the tank on its side so I don't think I injured it by moving it

If its attached just leave it alone, don't try to move it. I lost a crocea trying to move it while it was attached. If the mantel reacted with the shadow, thats a good thing. just give it time and keep it happy.

Ok i will leave it for now and just keep an eye on it. Tonight I will check to see if there is something in the mantle irritating it.

Got home from work today and my clam tried committing suicide. It fell from the rocks and was laying in the sand. I pick it up and placed it back up on the ricks under the lights.

I took a picture of the bottom of the clam. I never really paid attention to what it looked like before so I have no idea if this is normal or not.

post-2987-075442500 1308255221_thumb.jpg

That's not good at all.

The clam fell over due to flow and not being attached to the rock. As soon as you can, place it somewhere that it is unable to fall over, even on it's side, but do not wedge it.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but there are a few things that could have happened...

Clams will let go of their byssal threads (stringy white fiber things that hold the clam in place) if in a poor position or poor parameter related. This is what I'm assuming happened in the first post as you said your clam was laying on its side. Hopefully this is what's going on and it will be self corrected soon if put in a better position/better parameters.

The other option would be the clam's gland was removed. It's an oval mass that is cream white. It had to come out during moving if you "pulled" him off at any time. If this is the case, the clam will die in a few days.

Did you check last night for pyramid snails?

Find a place that it will be unable to fall over or on its side and leave it be.

FWIW, this is what a healthy byssal opening of an unattached clam should look like: (These are not my pictures)

DSCN0083.jpg

DSCN0091.jpg

Edited by NickB

Guest cherryinfl

just stick it in the sand and hope for the best. We stick all of our clams in the sand with the bottom burried and they are doing well. That's all you can do.

just stick it in the sand and hope for the best. We stick all of our clams in the sand with the bottom burried and they are doing well. That's all you can do.

Croceas are rock burrowing clams. They actually do very poorly in the sand if you do not have a piece of rock right underneath them.

Croceas are rock burrowing clams. They actually do very poorly in the sand if you do not have a piece of rock right underneath them.

Exactly correct - thanks for posting the pictures and very good info Nick!

Guest cherryinfl

I know but it's jumping off the rock for a reason. Some of them don't like the normal enviroment. If everything else has failed what's the harm in seeing if it's happy in the sand. I have one that is happy in the sand.002-7.jpg

Edited by cherryinfl

I know but it's jumping off the rock for a reason. Some of them don't like the normal enviroment. If everything else has failed what's the harm in seeing if it's happy in the sand. I have one that is happy in the sand.

I don't think it ever actually attached where he put it, he said he moved it up recently. Yours looks happy though!

Also it might be that Crocea's bore when they are on rocks...but don't HAVE to bore into rocks. Especially if they like where they are. Maybe it's that they have the ability (unlike the other species) but not the need.....i wonder if they are found in more turbulent areas historically and needed to be able to anchor down...

Edited by lucien2244

Does that make sense? They CAN but don't HAVE to, to survive. What would boring into the rocks get them besides a nifty place to live? I doubt they get any kind of nutrients...I think it's teh stability when they get the right light that they want.