SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
Jimmyb

Alkalinity keeps going down

My tank has been running for about a month and a half and we have a few fish, bubble tip anemone and corals in there. We have zoas, and just added frogspawn and acans.  They are all pretty small but my DKH keeps going down seems pretty fast to me for what is in the tank but not sure.  I wanted to get someones opinion. I did a water change Saturday afternoon and the DKH that night was 9.1 and Tuesday afternoon the DKH is 8.3? Saturday night my calcium was 480 and mag was 1500. Is there something I should look at or is this ok? 

Most people will see the three drop, you will notice it will change depending on your bio load.  Most people dose 2 or 3 part and it usually means you are growing well.  Where are your other tests reading?

Sorry for the late response but my calcium is at 490 and mag is 1500 and DKH is 8.2 today. They seem like they are out of balance and not sure why calcium would go up lol. 

Yea I just received a doser and BRS 2part system. I’m learning as going through this tank lol. Thank you all for the advice and hopefully when I get it running everything will be in balance and stable 

IMHO, dosers should be used to maintain levels once the levels are stable in the tank, not to rectify imbalances (I highly recommend dosers!). A couple of things I would check: are you confident in your test kit results? Take a water sample to your LFS and see what numbers they get on different test kits. You may find that your mag kit is not reading right. Low Magnesium is often the cause of a rapid DKH and calcium swings. 

I use Hanna checkers for DKH and calcium. Red Sea for mag test and have taken a sample to LFS and they said my mag was high at 1550. I have been trying to get it in balance. I have not set up the dosers yet do to the fact that the water is only using alkalinity. I get the DKH to 9.5 and calcium at 450-470 after a few days when I check the DKH it would be around 8.5 and calcium seems to go up around 480-490. Everything in the tank seems fine. Would is the best mag test kit. Thank you for your help with this