SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
Sign in to follow this  
pdexta

Clean sand before reusing?

I recently took down a 20g tank that was tied into my 150g display and 55g sump.  The tank was running for 3-4 years prior to taking it down and has been down for a few months with the sand dry.  I've been changing up a few things and now I'm planning to set it back up again.

My original plan was just to reuse the sand as is, but I'm wondering if I should I do anything to the sand before tying it back into the system?  I haven't had any real issues with with the tank, but I didn't want to reintroduce any fish poo that'd been accumulating in the sand over the years if I could easily remove it while it's dry.  Should I spray it down with the hose in a 5 gallon bucket and allow it to dry again?  Just put it in as is and not worry about it?  Any other suggestions?

Scott, I'd put the sand in a big bucket (I use a 5g size). Take the nozzle off your garden hose. Turn on the water and start to push the hose in and out of the sand changing the spot you push it in each time. The water overflows the bucket, don't have it gushing overflow, just enough to flush the detritus out. In time the water will run start to run pretty clear. That's when you stop the water and slowly tip the bucket to dump/drain as much water out as you can. IMHO the residue water is such a small amount that it's harmless. But you can do a rinse with RO/DI water if you feel the need to be extra careful.

Monday I'll be posting pics from our Sanibel beach walk we did on Sunday. I got a couple of unusual critters and one very strange critter.

Thanks Ron.  That's kind of what I was leaning toward doing.  Might as well clean it up while it's easy and there's nothing living in it now anyway.

Thanks Ron.  That's kind of what I was leaning toward doing.  Might as well clean it up while it's easy and there's nothing living in it now anyway.
Ron is right on the money, just lay the land out and let it dry out to remove any excess chlorine that's bound it it. Sun breaks down chlorine pretty quick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk