SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
AiKkZ

AikkZ 300 Gallon A.G.E Build!

Been in the hobby for a little while and looking to upgrade to a large tank that will be SPS dominant. Several years ago I started with a 40g breeder, then went to a 90 bow front, and recently tore down my 220 because I had to move, so now i'm taking advantage of the new house and the wife let me build a fish room.

I've done a ton of research, and settled on A.G.E for the tank (84x36x24H). The tank with be 3 sides low iron, with 1" pvc bottom. I like higher stands, so they are building me a 40" high steel stand made by 2 x 2 x 1/4 inch thick walls. As for overflow I opted to go with a single 20" synergy reef overflow.

As for sump i'm going with a custom Bashsea that will measure 72x24x20H (I always love running large sumps) I'm still debating on if I should just use a large rubbermaid trough or another tank for a fuge. I wont be happy unless its atleast 50 gallons.

As for equipment -

Skimmer - Bubble King Deluxe 250 (internal)

Return Pump - Abyzz A200

RO/DI - 6 stage BRS 150gph

ATO - Tunze Osmolator

Controller - Apex (with extra power bar)

LED's - (4) Ecotech XR30 pro (maybe some T5's if on budget)

Flow - (2) MP40's (2) Tunze steams

Calcium Reactor - Geo's CR624

Carbon Reactor - TBD (probably Geo's or Bashsea)

Mixing Station - (2) 75 Gallon containers from e-plastics and Pan World 50PX-X

Live Rock - 250 lbs of pukani

I probably missed a couple things off the top of my head, but you get the idea 

Those are great dimensions and the equipment stock looks awesome already! The only thing I would recommend you consider is the aquarium plants.com carbondoser. Having electronic control as opposed to depending on a bubble counter is a wonderful thing.

Really looking forward to this build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey thanks for sharing! Digging the equipment it's going to be a serious build. That pukani looks pretty clean did you bleach and acid bath it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, FishinBob said:

Hey thanks for sharing! Digging the equipment it's going to be a serious build. That pukani looks pretty clean did you bleach and acid bath it?

Going to bleach it this week and let cure for a couple months. Tank just got ordered so I've got 3 months to wait.

Going to bleach it this week and let cure for a couple months. Tank just got ordered so I've got 3 months to wait.
I would highly recommend a week bleach bath and a 5-15 min max acid bath. Bought another 40 lbs for this build recently and forgot how nasty it was, but I love it! Those are some monster pieces.

20 hours ago, FishinBob said:

I would highly recommend a week bleach bath and a 5-15 min max acid bath. Bought another 40 lbs for this build recently and forgot how nasty it was, but I love it! Those are some monster pieces.

I thought about doing an acid bath somewhere around 20:1 ratio, but I just hate the fact that it removes the top layer of the rock itself. I think if i bleach it 10:1 for a week then let it cure for 2 1/2 months it should be more then enough. Plus I hate using acid, no matter how careful you are it's always sketchy!

CAD drawings from A.G.E of the tank and stand. Two 1' returns and a 1' drilled for easy water changes.

tank.PNG

stand.PNG

Edited by AiKkZ

I thought about doing an acid bath somewhere around 20:1 ratio, but I just hate the fact that it removes the top layer of the rock itself. I think if i bleach it 10:1 for a week then let it cure for 2 1/2 months it should be more then enough. Plus I hate using acid, no matter how careful you are it's always sketchy!
Yeah it does remove a bit of rock... Maybe 5% or so but helps remove the inner nasties.. but bleach and 2 1/2 month cure should do it. I've ran gfo in the past in my bin to help with phosphate removal... this time just 2 months of curing. But pukani is my favorite rock worth it either way!

CAD drawings from A.G.E of the tank and stand. Two 1' returns and a 1' drilled for easy water changes.

tank.thumb.PNG.4010ca945dc5d7e5d36eeb2a7ce12413.PNG
stand.thumb.PNG.40708711779a94d88e70ce2f1fb10feb.PNG
Wow this thing is a beast! I'm all in for helping when you go to set it up? What's the eta?

16 minutes ago, FishinBob said:

Wow this thing is a beast! I'm all in for helping when you go to set it up? What's the eta?

We are adding an addition to our house, and the plans have been at the city for about 2 weeks now. As soon as we get permit AGE will begin fabrication, there eta is about 3 months. Where the tank will be located is not going under construction, but I am removing the floor due to the massive slope (because it used to be exterior pool space) and we will float it level in the mud bed and redo the tile. All in all i should have the stand in about a 2 months and the tank in about 4.

Got some plumbing supplies in, and the fuge lights. Torn between make a fuge with a 40 breeder or going crazy and using a rubbermaid 100g trough. 

5abc25f6b2c02_plumbing3.thumb.jpg.2f8d1684b7a8f75743cb252bda512d84.jpg5abc25f01d62f_plumbing2.thumb.jpg.abe95611ba80dfcb59c9157787076bcb.jpg5abc25e914a3c_plumbing1.thumb.jpg.5567a001ac8f3cc81611c91433774289.jpgplumbing.thumb.jpg.348221235b963cf1eb123614c9c42822.jpg

27 minutes ago, FishinBob said:

Best thing about AGE is they offer an install service for a couple hundred bucks they deliver and put the tank on the stand (100% insured)

1/2" diameter acrylic rods and BRS thick glue for aquascaping, and got the supplies in for the QT tank. The QT tank will be a 40g breeder. Oh and the only thing I love more then fish!!

20180328_194337.jpg

20180328_194055.jpg

dogs.jpg

I was following your build over on R2R - was wondering why you went for the A200 over say the RE RD3-150 or 230 ?

Considering you went for the RE DL250 skimmer.

I also noticed that you had mentioned that it arrived from Germany, I’m guessing you ordered that from Premium? Did it ship from them direct, or did RE Fort Myers dropship it to you? You’d see on the shipping label on the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1/2" diameter acrylic rods and BRS thick glue for aquascaping, and got the supplies in for the QT tank. The QT tank will be a 40g breeder. Oh and the only thing I love more then fish!!
20180328_194337.thumb.jpg.edae51f923dd25abb9cd1514c7535a70.jpg
20180328_194055.thumb.jpg.96a97d9282553ba5b41af29738beed79.jpg
dogs.thumb.jpg.2ab5bd3f6dceed0afd39e4f562a80264.jpg
Where did you get the acrylic rods? from I'm doing my aquascape next week and need to source some. May need to pick your brain on that at setup as well!

17 minutes ago, FishinBob said:

Where did you get the acrylic rods? from I'm doing my aquascape next week and need to source some. May need to pick your brain on that at setup as well!

I got them from tap plastics for fairly cheap. I've also used 1/2" pvc in the past only difference is pvc limits overhangs.

10 hours ago, wiszmaster said:

I was following your build over on R2R - was wondering why you went for the A200 over say the RE RD3-150 or 230 ?

Considering you went for the RE DL250 skimmer.

I also noticed that you had mentioned that it arrived from Germany, I’m guessing you ordered that from Premium? Did it ship from them direct, or did RE Fort Myers dropship it to you? You’d see on the shipping label on the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Main reason for abyzz is the 10 year warranty where the rd3 is only 2 years I believe. Yes I did order the skimmer from premium, and it took over a month to receive, so I assume it came from Germany.

Edited by AiKkZ