SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
jrwhite

New to the hobby...

My wife and I recently purchased a BioCube32 for our 2 year old son (Xmas Gift) as a hobby that all of us can hopefully enjoy over the next several years. We figured this would be an awesome gift that will grow with him over time, and is far more exciting than a toy that he will lose interest in immediately. The tank itself, has been up and running with Water, Live Sand, and 1 Live Rock for about 10 days now.
Im asking the SWFMAS Community, if you are thinking about breaking down your existing tank or have any Fish, Live Rock (still need about 15-20lbs), Corals, Frags, etc that you would like to sell. We would be interested to see what you have. You can respond on this forum or email me directly at [email protected]

Thanks

Jon White

Welcome to the hobby. If this is your first tank I would keep it simple. Do you try to get high end corals yet. Also any fish you do get make sure they are reef safe if you are going to put them in with corals. A lot of members have frags and stuff we sell. Also this is a great place to ask questions and learn. You soon will be upgrading to larger tank as most of us have done. As with anything nothing happens overnight. Take your time and you will have a great looking tank.

Thanks for the insight, Wayne. No its still a barebones tank as of yet. Im currently cycling the water and started to treat it with SeaChem Prime and Stability last week. Im super excited to get things going though. And yes, I have heard from nearly everyone that this is not a sprint, its a marathon.

If there is anything you need or want to know just ask. I am currently out of town but I have a lot of stuff if you are still needing anything when I get back. You can also check the for sale thread for stuff members have listed. Anything you get make sure you dip in a coral dip such as CoralRx. You can get this from any local fish store or online. This will not get rid of all things but close. Some people do CoralRx then into a product called Revive then a rinse in saltwater from the tank.

I appreciate it. Just picked up a cleaner crew and drip acclimator. I think I may hold off on the fish and coral until closer to Christmas since most of that will be on sale locally...I need to add another 20 or so lbs of live rock; which my local fish store should have a large shipment in tomorrow they say....Thanks again for the advice.

Welcome Jon and family to SWFMAS.   

That's an amazing gift for a 2 year old.     You already know the go slow hobby moto.   It's hard to do but especially when visiting LFS.  I would also suggest staying away away from the hippo blue tangs.   They tend to be very prone to ICH and you will probably run into problems over the long run.   Post a picture of you tank so we can see what you have so far.  It would be nice to see what your rock formations/structures look like because that can have an impact on fish in you aquarium as well.

Also some more information on where you are located and hobby experience?

Welcome again and I look forward to meeting you at some point.

Thanks Nottarts. Let me know if the picture came through. As mentioned in my previous post, I still need to add some more Live Rock. 

I'm located in Naples and have ZERO saltwater experience. But I think that's half the fun. I like to learn new things that I can become familiar with and share my experiences with my son...Even if he is only 2. 

Jon

IMG_8186.JPG

Welcome to SWFMAS Jon!

Glad to have you here sharing your plunge with us! Sounds like you've done some homework. Biocubes are fun little tanks sleek, simple and generally easy to maintain nice choice! What type of lighting does it have led or compact fluorescence ?
This site has a great group of friendly and extremely knowlagable people so don't be afraid to ask for help. We also have some neat events planned throughout the year that's fun for the family aswell. When you do start looking into fish liveaquaria has a awesome cheat sheet for tank size and compatability with inverts and corals(it's my goto when carousing fish stores). Welcome to the adventure, look forward to meeting you and watching your tank grow!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the warm welcomes  FishinBob and Adolfo. 

It's the newer LED version I picked up from Saltwater Solutions on Black Friday. Couldn't pass up the sale they had. 

Welcome to the club and to the forum. There are quite a few helpful members here and lots of help with issues and equipment. A number of us have corals for sale regularly and some are very reasonably priced. You could get 5 to 8 different coral frags from me for as little as $20 to $30 and I have an assortment of some rock as well (both dry and live). But I'm up in Cape Coral.

I've got some smaller pieces of dry rock from an older tank.  Been sitting in buckets for a couple years.  Definitely not live anymore!

Our annual auction is coming up in a couple months. There are always some great deals there.

I'd recommend the fish first and let the tank cycle/settle for a month or so.

Watch out for fresh live rock.  Tends to have die off when put in a new tank.  Small tanks will get the worst of an ammonia spike.  My suggestion would be to get some rock that just came out of a tank that has been running for a while.  Or, find older dry rock or "base" rock and let the critters colonize it in you tank.

If you want, I can pull a couple pieces our of my sump and I will just replace them with my bucket rock.  Being in the sump, they are not colonized with anything pretty, but they should have good bacteria growth and maybe a little sponge or coralline. (sump is exposed and faces a morning window...one side of the sump is covered in coralline)

Thanks again for all of the insight guys/gals. I cant tell you how intrigued I was just to watch the cleaner crew go-to-town last night in the tank.

Would any of you recommend any form of additional filtering besides the Carbon Filter that comes with the BioCube? I already have the Protein Skimmer and UV Filter up and running with the tank... Possibly Dry/Live Rock Rubble....Suggestions?

If you are running carbon, skimmer and UV, you probably have more than enough filtration. I use filter socks for bigger particle collection. Adding rubble to the sump can't hurt. I also keep a reactor online but just run water thru it unless I need something. I don't run carbon or GFO in there unless I have an issue.

19 hours ago, jrwhite said:

Awesome. Thanks Ron. Also, if you are still interested in selling any of your Frags let me know...

Yes, I still have frags for sale and they are quite inexpensive to cheap. Although my supply of frags is getting smaller and smaller. But on the other hand, I've introduced a handful of Craigslist customers to SWFMAS who didn't even know that it existed. I had one reefer stop by and purchased many of my colonies (6 or 7) and some frags and 3 RBTA's and  only spent about $175. He had never heard of SWFMAS before.

Edited by ronreefman

Welcome! Sounds like this gift is really for you! Lol! Your family will love it. These guys on here are awesome. Lots of experience and super helpful. I could have not made it without them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank George. Ill be doing the majority of the "heavy lifting" until he is old enough to start taking on some of the tasks himself. I will say that it is a very fun and rewarding hobby thus far. And we all are starting to enjoy it a lot.