SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
chris adams

Scratch removal from Glass Tank ??

Has anyone in the club gone through the process of removing scratches from glass.

Yes I watched a couple videos but nothing is better than getting  feedback from members who have done it themselves.

So I hope someone or a couple people have done it.

I have a Red Sea 130D that I am in final stages of cleanup. After months of back and forth on sell or not I have decided to sell it.

After this last round of cleaning I noticed the scratches more than ever. To clean :)

If I want to get any value back when I sell it, I need to deal with the scratches. Range from just annoying to slightly felt with fingernail.

I know it takes more work removing scratches from glass then it does with Acrylic  which I have done in the past

So do any of you have experience doing this yourself?

Is it worth doing yourself or think I should check prices with a glass company?

If you have done it and it is worth it any suggestions?

Thanks

Chris

Has anyone in the club gone through the process of removing scratches from glass.
Yes I watched a couple videos but nothing is better than getting  feedback from members who have done it themselves.
So I hope someone or a couple people have done it.

I have a Red Sea 130D that I am in final stages of cleanup. After months of back and forth on sell or not I have decided to sell it.
After this last round of cleaning I noticed the scratches more than ever. To clean

If I want to get any value back when I sell it, I need to deal with the scratches. Range from just annoying to slightly felt with fingernail.
I know it takes more work removing scratches from glass then it does with Acrylic  which I have done in the past

So do any of you have experience doing this yourself?
Is it worth doing yourself or think I should check prices with a glass company?

If you have done it and it is worth it any suggestions?

Thanks

Chris

Well chris short answer yes if your willing to put in the time. I am currently doing it on a used tank I just got and here are some results on 5/8" starphire.
Here are some before and after.... after 5-6 hrs mind you. This is with a Amazon orbital a 3" felt pad and optical grade cerium oxide.. most scratches you couldn't feel a couple you could. Mind you the 5-6 hrs is for about 6 sets of scratches so I'm moving around alot to attempt to stay productive and let the glass cool. Let me know what you think.4c032f195bb8fefbe4dbfa8c9b47a462.jpg8f1865f3a8b99ea50e3e14c5e21a3d04.jpgc61b2e95ad08c7c71405efb8bd21b5c9.jpg2ccf94e72e3f792d53a4f0cb4d95848a.jpg4d144997a5fb333ae27bd31d4055787d.jpg5fb9e3037ccf0b6fd2dde42d317c5711.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Looks great, Bob. What did that person do to that tank? I don't think my kids could do that intentionally....
That was the peninsula panel.... saw the tank setup and looks like it was a mp40 with the back plate removed. I'm kicking my self now not looking it over better. But on a side note they are coming out and so far no distortion. Then again its a tank I could never afford so what's a little elbow grease time to make up the difference. Yeah I am extremely careful and couldn't imagine letting that happen to my tank.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

Here are a few I worked on today.. being much more aggressive. One or 2 more sessions on each area and should be about 80-90 removed.01831a247d1a9ac854217fa09e0fc21f.jpge47697ff0bf6da8ac0b15da399b7848b.jpg7780040e3bdf27e21a931c9d4db00fdf.jpg07c61894239e09e8c141e8f4c0e61fb0.jpg

Starting to look real good. Are you done with it yet Bob?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not yet, I am going over it all, Polishing all the panels just to clean it up. Have maybe another 5-10 hours to complete. I'm going to hit it in the morning, I think I can remove about 80-90%.

From my experience, which is limited but maybe 8 or so hours over the course of 2 or 3 weeks. Seems like it's pretty productive, seeing as it's a multi purpose took (buffer/high speed poisher) and the only other expense is cheap felt pads and cerium oxide 25-30$ total. It is very time consuming but you can apply more speed and pressure if you keep it wet. This will accelerate the polishing. I use a digital thermometer to keep temp under 100f (130 is threshold for distortion so they say). It's turning a negectled tank near new again.

Significantly easier from what I've read... I am going to work the sump a litre just for some more experience on refurbishing tanks.

Nice work! 

I'm resetting my 180g after Irma whiped both my tanks out and while redoing my rock scape I put my first nice big scratch in the front pane.

Any way to remove scratches while filled?

Nice work! 
I'm resetting my 180g after Irma whiped both my tanks out and while redoing my rock scape I put my first nice big scratch in the front pane.
Any way to remove scratches while filled?
From what I've read the only method is draining tank... sealing with some tape/ plastic and working it that way... how far down the tank is it.? A guy on YouTube did that near the bottom of the tank took him a full day and seemed pretty satisfied but he had holding tanks/ quarantine tanks

9 hours ago, FishinBob said:

From what I've read the only method is draining tank... sealing with some tape/ plastic and working it that way... how far down the tank is it.? A guy on YouTube did that near the bottom of the tank took him a full day and seemed pretty satisfied but he had holding tanks/ quarantine tanks

It's doable while filled, post in the SWFMAS: Discussions Facebook group, and I'll tag my buddy Scott who's done it..

2 hours ago, wiszmaster said:

It's doable while filled, post in the SWFMAS: Discussions Facebook group, and I'll tag my buddy Scott who's done it..

I don't have Facebook but I am curious how that would be done