Welcome to SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

solar

HVAC Plasma

I'm having a new AC system installed and would like to add a bipolar ionizer to help with indoor air quality. Most of the products i see create and disperse "plasma" throughout the house so i'm naturally concerned about the effects on the water chemistry and organisms inside the tank (i do not have a lid on my tank).

I'm specifically looking at the GPS IClean which states it creates ions that are found naturally in nature and that they break down gases with electron-volt potential numbers below 12 to harmless compounds prevalent in the atmosphere such as oxygen, nitrogen, water vapor and carbon dioxide. This seems harmless enough....

Does anyone have any experience with these types of devices or know if they are fish tank friendly?

Thanks!

I have no experience with said units, however for another route of indoor air quality, look into an ERV - Energy Recovery Ventilator.

Thanks, but an ERV doesn't work for my situation (I have natural ventilation, not dedicated outside air) and it is for energy savings, not IAQ.

Thanks, but an ERV doesn't work for my situation (I have natural ventilation, not dedicated outside air) and it is for energy savings, not IAQ.

Actually it is for IAQ.

Depending on what climate you're at, it can be for either, in the south it's for IAQ.

As you know, our goal in the southern tropical state is to build houses as tight as possible, no leaks. However the 1 thing most architects and AC companies omit or forget about is that the tighter you build the house, the worse IAQ gets.

I really wish they wouldn't be called ERV's - the name is misleading for the use in the south.

While it may not be what you're looking for, and may not work for what you are attempting to accomplish, I just wanted to correct that little misconception about ERV's and IAQ.

Source: we used to build EPA rated EnergyStar rated homes built from SIPs. All of our houses far surpassed EPA ratings and we're some of the tightest, non-leaking structures the environmental testing firms had ever tested and rated. We installed ERVs into each of the houses we built for IAQ. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro