SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society
wiszmaster

Self Cleaning Head For Skimmer

Do any of you run self cleaning heads for your skimmers?

I used to run one on one of my large Deltec Skimmers - and IMO they make a huge difference. When run at least once a day, they keep the skimmer neck clean and free of mud/caked up proteins that end up slowing down the overflow into the cup.

This is a video of my old Deltec AP-1004 with the SCH.

We do not run one but I have been looking at the avast swabbie

http://www.avastmarine.com/products/swabbie

Matt,

I'm just wondering, have you looked at the Vertex Vectra, and if yes, what are the benefits of the Avast Swabbie over the Vertex Vectra ? I'm not recommending either, I have no first hand experience with either. just wondering.

Which skimmer do you have?

Hi Marco. I have not done any comparisons yet. I have just seen some posts on the avast product so that's how I knew of it.

We have reef octopus Diablo skimmer

Matt,

You'd def want a drain tube. The idea with the SCH is that you rarely ever need to pull the cup.

In my deltec I had a rinse system.

The cup drain was drained to outside. Inside the cup was an inverted U shape pipe, that required an almost full cup to start a siphon, and then siphon the cup all the way. However we never let the cup fill all the way with skimmate, I think once a day or so we had it on a timer that freshwater was dumped into the collection cup to basically fill it and start the siphon... This effectively kept a clean neck and clean cup. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My stand is tall, If I remember correctly 40 or 41 inches but my skimmer is a monster lol. Maybe If I were to lower it a couple inches I could fit the avast swabbie.

I picked up a SCH for my Bubble King Double Cone 180. Can't wait to get it running.

AquaDriver Helix 180

2fa2502cf44722c46c0b7677a5c9a25c.jpg

f74a5339537e04053b64f3285411935c.jpg

cd31cbe2343f37d867a6b47204033941.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do and a skimmate collector as well.  Float switch in the collector to let me know when it's full.  

14 hours ago, dbl said:

I do and a skimmate collector as well.  Float switch in the collector to let me know when it's full.  

Which model SCH & collector are you running, feedback, pictures?
Personal opinion, worth it for you? See benefit, how often do you clean the cup, etc.

10 hours ago, wiszmaster said:

Which model SCH & collector are you running, feedback, pictures?
Personal opinion, worth it for you? See benefit, how often do you clean the cup, etc.

Vertex Vectra Cleaner mounted on a Vertex Omega 180i skimmer dumping in to an Avest Marine Skimmate Locker.  Prior to this I had an Avest Swabbie mounted on a Bubble King Mini 180.  It runs once a day for about 2-3 minutes.  

Can't say I prefer one cleaner over the other but I'm pretty sure I will always have a head cleaner as long as I have a skimmer. 😀